1PW stopped syncing with iOS.

steben53
steben53
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

Purchased 1PW outright a couple of years ago. It was syncing for some time but at some point it stopped. Currently, I have logins and passwords on my Mac (browsers) but when I sync iOS devices I have zero logins/passwords in the app.

Update. In a desperate attempt to get them synced I trashed the iOS app on my phone and reinstalled from iTunes and accepted a "free trial" offer. Didn't work!

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hey there @steben53 :)
    Sorry about the trouble you have been having. Let me see if I can try and figure this out for you.

The "free trial" offer you accepted was likely for a 1Password Membership. Now there are some definite advantages to having a membership such as seamless, no-nonsense syncing across all devices, updates and upgrades included for any device you own and various other benefits as outlined here and it could be something you decide to keep and use instead of your old method. But it is also completely separate from what you have had up until now and the data won't sync between them.

So let me try and solve your current syncing issue. Do you know what version of 1Password you are using and do you know how you originally synced your 1Password data? Do you use Dropbox? iCloud? WLAN sync?

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member

Corey,
    I include versions, etc with the original post.

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

And I do not think I was syncing with icloud or dropbox. To the best of my knowledge, I was merely syncing via a hard cable connection between the Mac and the iOS.

Also, I'd go with the annual membership version if that's what it takes to get these devices syncing.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

When I say versions, I don't mean Mac of iOS, I mean version numbers. Is it 1Password 6?

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Yes. Six. 6.8.1

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Okay, so if you unlock your vault on your Mac and then go to preferences, is there a sync tab? If there is, is anything set up there? If not, you don't actually have syncing set up, which is why they are not syncing to your phone. In that case, your options for syncing, including that of a 1Password Membership are outlined here:

Sync your 1Password data

Hope that helps. :)

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member

It says it is set to sync via WLAN

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Okay then, in that case this is the article you are looking for. Take a look through it and through the troubleshooting link at the bottom and see if it helps.

https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Although, I wouldn't really suggest using the WLAN sync unless you have to for some reason. It is prone to not working very well and being overly complicated. The other options are far easier.

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I turned on WLAN. I opened preferences > settings> but there is no sync option there in the app.

Well, I'm pretty desperate and frustrated after spending hours of hours on this so I'm perfect willing to find another sync solution.

I'm also thinking I should delete the iOS app since I did that one with the trial membership offer and download the correct app. What do you think?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

If you mean on the iOS app, you have to first enable standalone vaults. In settings>vaults and scroll to the bottom and hit the "enable standalone vaults". Unfortunately there is a bug currently in the iOS version where the app might crash if you try to do that. If it does, there isn't much that can be done until that is fixed.

Let me know if it works :)

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

that worked so far. Where do I find my secret? This stuff is killing me! My sec ret?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Your secret should be listed on your mac in the WLAN preferences pane.

Again, WLAN is probably the hardest sync method available. If this is bothering you, you can use other methods.

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member

Also, in About it says version 6.8.1 but when I open the app it says 6.3....

• steben53
    steben53
    Community Member

Cory, I found the "secret" by accident and entered it into the iOS app. It synced -- I have my vault on the phone so thats good. I have to go with this for now or my head will explode. thanks for your help!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Not a problem, good to hear it's working. If you've got any other issues in the future, I'm here to help. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steben53 -- sorry to hear you've had a tough time getting set up. Is everything OK now? A 1Password membership truly is the easiest for most people, by far. But if you've already had data in 1Password in your Mac for a while, you'd need to transfer your data over from your existing local (Primary) vault into your 1Password account vault. Did you do that?

This discussion has been closed.