Upgraded to paid account to resolve syncing issues – and still have syncing issues

Options
JuliaA
JuliaA
Community Member

Hey guys,

I’m still very confused (and a little frustrated) about how 1P syncs. I used to use Dropbox sync, but forever had issues with changes made (primarily) on the Mac not automatically showing up on my iPhone or iPad. Yes, Dropbox was configured properly everywhere, but there were literally never background updates (yes, they were enabled on all iOS devices). I often had to launch 1P to force a sync, or even to force quit the apps, relaunch them, and only then did I see the sync happen. Sometimes it took minutes to happen. On the road, that was incredibly frustrating.

So, I bit the bullet and bought a subscription. Your Dropbox support page says that a way to avoid all this nastiness is to become a paid subscriber and sync via a 1P.com account.

I spend half a day last Sunday going through my Primary Vault (which used to be the one with Dropbox sync) and clearing it out: I moved what I still needed to my Personal 1P.com account, and deleted what I no longer had any need for. My "All items" count went from close to 1000 to 376 (per my Mac, that has the correct set of data).

I did use 1P on my phone throughout the week via other apps (that integrate with 1P to allow me to log in faster), but I don’t recall specifically opening 1P itself for any reason. I simply assumed that my paid subscription would now take care of the sync.

Today, I noticed that I was given the same login data twice when I was in another app. Sure enough, when I opened 1P, it showed me it had still close to 1000 items. All the changes I had made on the Mac (moving stuff around, deactivating my Primary Vault, adding new items) had never been synced since Sunday! Today is Friday, btw.

The app locked up – I wanted to check the settings, but for the past 10 minutes, I have been unable to get there. I closed it (pressing the Home button), then opened it again. It took almost 30 seconds to get past the initial screen. Then I saw the list of categories flash a bit, and the numbers decreased.

I can see the spinner at the very top, indicating that a sync takes place, but for over 5 minutes, no thing has changed in the interface (still a total of 596 items, instead of 376) and I still can’t get to the Settings.

I closed the app again, and opened it again. It crashed. Upon logging in again, it quickly counted down, but now is stuck at 381 items instead of 376, so I guess I have to go through all the motions again. (Which I did, 3 minutes later, and the app crashed again when I tried to launch it initially)

All I want is 1P to sync properly in the background for once. This has been an issue for years, and the only reason I even went to buy a subscription was the assurance that this would resolve the sync problems, but so far, I don’t see any improvement at all. The iOS apps are just never up-to-date, which is frustrating when you are out-and-about, have to quickly log in somewhere to buy a ticket for the train etc, and your data isn’t there.

If there’s anything that I am doing wrong, please let me know so I can change it. Right now, I’m a bit disappointed that my paid subscription, which was supposed to fix this mess, isn’t doing what I expected it to do.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.3.3
Sync Type: 1P account

Comments

• Hi @JuliaA,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'm sorry to hear about the continued difficulty with accessing your data across all of your devices. It sounds like part of this is likely a configuration problem, and part of it is an expectation problem.

The expectation problem seems to be about when 1Password syncs. 1Password for iOS only syncs when the 1Password for iOS app is open and unlocked. It does not sync in the background, or when the extension is open. This is true regardless of which service you choose to use to sync your data. I'm sorry if we've given the wrong impression here.

To get a closer look at what the configuration problem may be I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81867/
    • Your forum username: JuliaA

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.