Failed to open from url field in Secure Note

justinpitts
justinpitts
Community Member

I created a new Secure Note to store some details about a new 2FA configuration. I added a field for the QR code image, entered the url and set the field type to URL.
When I save the note and click on the URL field, I get an error message ( this is a sanitized version of the URL that reproduces the problem ) :

Failed to Open

Failed to launch browser for the url: https://www.google.com/chart?chs=200x200&chld=M|0&cht=qr&chl=otpauth://totp/name@host%3Fsecret%3DHZ5OI7GIIXLFQRCA

I was expecting 1p to open Chrome to this page. Chrome is able to open this page if I copy/paste the url.

1Password Version: 6.8.1 (681006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Failed to open Failed to launch browser url

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @justinpitts -- try setting the field to One Time Password -- that's the specific language convention we follow (comes from TOTP, or "Time-based One-Time Password"

• justinpitts
    justinpitts
    Community Member

That is a fascinating bit of functionality. It displays the OTP with a countdown, just like my authenticator apps. That's cool!

...and not to be ungrateful, but it's also not what I wanted, nor does it address my concern. I pasted a perfectly good url into a url field, and it doesn't work.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@justinpitts -- well, as you can see from the encoding in our forum here (we use Vanilla), they don't think this is a "perfectly good URL," either. You can see in your original post the point at which it goes from an encoded URL to plaintext -- it's not a lowercase L or a capital I -- that's a vertical pipe, which is likely what's causing things to choke. If you're interested in replacing that with a %7C, it should perform as you expect it to. :)

• justinpitts
    justinpitts
    Community Member

Your forum software isn't something I entrust my secrets to, so that comparison isn't useful to me.

I'm pretty sensitive to how 1p handles my input. I hold it to a higher standard.

Chrome ( and firefox, and safari, and Opera) handled it, and I've written software that url encodes input when necessary.

I do understand now why it behaves this way. Thank you for that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@justinpitts -- you're welcome! Come by anytime if you have suggestions or questions. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.