Chrome Extension failing because helper isn't connecting?

Options

Hi! I'm a new user, just registered tonight. So far I've logged in, invited a couple of family accounts and then added the extension to my Chrome browser. However, it's giving me an error every time I click on it saying that it is having trouble connecting to the helper. I'm running Windows 7 Pro on an older laptop, and Chrome is Version 60.0.3112.113

Everything I've done on the computer has been through Chrome, I haven't tried to install an app or download a program or anything.

I'm also having trouble adding another account in my iOS app, I was able to log in with the main account but then get a "1Password Account Cannot Be Added" error when I try to add a secondary one. I can make a separate post in the proper forum for that issue if need be, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help, I'm really looking forward to using 1Password and just want to get it all set up!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @judylmc! Welcome to the 1Password family! On Windows 7, you will need to install the main desktop app for the Chrome extension to work properly. You can find the app here and instructions to sign in once you've installed it here. Once you've installed the desktop app and signed in to your account, give the Chrome extension another go and let me know how you get on. :chuffed:

As for iOS, it sounds like you're trying to add two accounts associated with the same Family, which won't be possible. These are meant to be kept separate so that each member of your family can have their own account, with their own Secret Key and Master Password. Each person's private data can be stored in the Private vault where only they can access it and shared data can be placed in the default Shared vault, or you can create a new vault to share only with specific people. If you'd like to add additional vaults to your own account, or create new vaults to share, you can find information about that here. You can also learn more about what you can do as a family organizer, if you're interested. And, of course, if you have additional questions, just let us know. :+1:

• judylmc
    judylmc
    Community Member
    Options

Ok...so maybe I am more confused about how this all works than I thought. I was setting up a family member for each of us (my mom, my husband and myself, as well as one to use for work rather than personal logins). It sounds like I'm going about it wrong and instead there should just be vaults for each of those instead and those can hold login/passwords as well as documents and information? We have two computers at home but both are shared by all of us, and two of us use Chrome (with separate logins) and one uses Safari. I've read several of the guides but am still confused about the best way to organize it all. With the original iOS question, I had been trying to log in on my phone with both the "work" account and my personal one so I'd be able to switch between them easily. I'm also wondering if there is a simple way to transfer saved passwords from chrome to 1password when I get to that point. Thanks for your help!

• judylmc
    judylmc
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I just realized I forgot to tag you in the question above :-)

• Hi @judylmc,

That is correct, you should not be creating the 1Password accounts for everyone but for yourself only. Instead, you invite your family members to your 1Password membership and they set up their account accordingly. Once they do that, everyone have access to the same Shared vault by default but you can create additional vaults for each specific topic. For an example, you and your husband have shared accounts that your mom don't, so you create the financial vault and grant your husband access to that specific vault and you guys can move or create new items to store in that vault, including documents and such. I'd suggest reading this article to learn more about that: https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

For work and home isolation, you can create a vault for work and a vault for home, you access both through the same 1Password account and switch to the specific vault you want at any time. 1Password does support adding a second or more 1Password.com account, as long as it is not the same 1Password membership. In other words, family.1Password.com and work.1Password.com are two separate memberships, which 1Password can do, it just cannot do two separate accounts of the same family.1Password.com membership yet.

We have two computers at home but both are shared by all of us, and two of us use Chrome (with separate logins) and one uses Safari. I've read several of the guides but am still confused about the best way to organize it all.

When you said shared, do you mean you're sharing the same Windows accounts? If so, then that can explain the difficulty. 1Password apps does not support the ability to switch "profiles", it is one account for each Windows account. We do not recommend sharing your Windows credentials but rather each family member having their own Windows profile instead.

With the original iOS question, I had been trying to log in on my phone with both the "work" account and my personal one so I'd be able to switch between them easily. I'm also wondering if there is a simple way to transfer saved passwords from chrome to 1password when I get to that point.

We do not support importing passwords from Chrome directly but there may be a way where you can export the passwords from Chrome as CSV and import it that way into 1Password.

What you can do is use 1Password alongside Chrome for a while, let 1Password auto-save as you log in, which is better than importing because 1Password extension can learn more about the site's design to auto-fill better next time.

• judylmc
    judylmc
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Thanks for all of the information! I may have followups once I try to reorganize it all :-)

• Hi @judylmc,

You're welcome and we're happy to help with anything you need here.

This discussion has been closed.