"1Password can’t create a required support file" error message when using Chrome

pirey4
pirey4
Community Member

When I open Chrome, I get the error message in the title. I'm given an option to restart the browser or get help.

On the help page (https://support.1password.com/kb/201707/) there are instructions for Opera, Chrome Canary, and Vivaldi but not just Chrome.

If I quit 1Password and 1Password Mini and restart them while Chrome is open, I get the following error message:

**1Password can’t create a required support file.

To save and fill passwords in your browser, 1Password needs to be able to write to: /Users/pirey4/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts**

I can see that /Users/pirey4/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/NativeMessagingHosts exists and has the following permissions:

**drwxr-xr-x 2 root staff **

There are no files in that directory.

Any thoughts on how to get this working again would be appreciated!

Thanks,

phil

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.8 (680014) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.7.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• pirey4
    pirey4
    Community Member

On another support page (https://support.1password.com/cs/native-messaging-chown/), I found a fix that seems to address the issue by changing the owner of the NativeMessagingHosts directory from root to $USER. If this is not the correct thing to do, please let me know otherwise all is working again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

Hi @pirey4,

You did the correct thing by changing ownership of your NativeMessagingHosts folder for Chrome to your Mac account username.:+1: Sometimes its ownership permission has been changed to root, as in your case, preventing 1Password from writing the file required for native messaging to work and also triggering this alert:

The Get Help button takes you to this support page where you found these instructions:

How to change ownership of your NativeMessagingHosts folder

Like you mentioned, you didn't get there right away and instead ended up on this other support page after the first alert popped up:

If you see “1Password can’t save or fill” when you open your browser

We're working on streamlining the processes for transitioning to native messaging and appreciate you reporting your experience with it. Sorry for that extra bit inconvenience and let us know if you run into any other trouble. Cheers!

ref: OPM-5164

• pirey4
    pirey4
    Community Member

Thanks for the great support!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure, @pirey4.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great week! Oh, and a bit belated welcome to the forum! :chuffed:

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I am getting the error 1Password can’t create a required support file. I follow the instructions and copy and paste [command removed by AgileBits; it's available in the support article] and when I enter my password, I get this message "no such file or directory"

how do I go about resolving this problem.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mtlou,

I get this message "no such file or directory"

It's normal for that to happen when one of the directories doesn't exist, for Chrome or Firefox, because you're not using that browser.

Did you follow the remaining steps in the support article and are still having trouble?

• mtlou
    mtlou
    Community Member

Thanks... I didn't realize that was what it was suppose to do that since I do use chrome and safari. Yes, it fixed the problem

• @mtlou,

On behalf of @sjk, Thanks for letting us know.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.