1Password 6 doesn't open on Windows 7

This discussion was created from comments split from: Can't open 1password windows app.

Comments

• copycath
    copycath
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I have the same operating system (Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit) and I have just had the same problem as bsamuel except that I've only just installed the program and was trying to open it for the first time and set up my new 1Password account. The first time I tried to open it Windows sent an error report to Microsoft but didn't give me any reason why it wouldn't open. Now if I click on it in the start menu nothing happens at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but this has made no difference. Please help me out so I can get started.
    Thanks

• copycath
    copycath
    Community Member

Here is the report from Windows Event Viewer in case it helps:

Faulting application name: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe, version: 6.7.457.0, time stamp: 0x598e1dd1
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23807, time stamp: 0x5915fe14
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x000000000001a06d
    Faulting process id: 0x1438
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d32879517b44b2
    Faulting application path: C:\Users\Catherine\AppData\Local\1password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

• Hi @copycath,

Thanks for reporting this.

When you looked at Event Viewer, did you notice any .NET crashes alongside that specific 1Password report? This look like it came from Windows, not 1Password.

As you are using Windows 7, the issue may be your Microsoft .NET version. Can you install or reinstall .NET 4.6.2 from here, reboot, reinstall 1Password afterward and see if it works?

• copycath
    copycath
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I installed some Windows updates and now 1Password for PC seems to be working but because I never got past first base it's now asking for my secret key and meanwhile the emergency pdf that I saved but didn't print out because my printer is out of ink has mysteriously disappeared. I didn't write down the secret key because the screen said not to. Instructions in the support area say "You can find your Secret Key and Setup Code on 1Password.com using a browser you’ve used to sign in to your account before, like the browser on the computer you used to create your account." It then says to log into your 1Password.com account but I can't log into my account without my secret key. Not sure where I go from here but I'm getting close to giving up on this. How do I get the link to my emergency kit sent to me again?
    The instructions for retrieving lost stuff like secret keys or master passwords are circular. It says "You can get another copy of your Emergency Kit in some of the 1Password apps, or by signing in to your account on 1Password.com." Only trouble is you can't sign in without the secret key (at least not the first time) so you can't access another copy of your emergency kit in order to get your secret key. I can't see anywhere that says what to do in this situation.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @copycath,

I am really sorry for these troubles with your 1Password account and the confusion with the Secret Key! It was not our intention to confuse you.

I checked your account on our side and it seems that you haven't added it to any 1Password apps yet. It means that you won't be able to get Secret Key from the apps. However, it seems that you have signed up for this account in Chrome on your PC and your Secret Key should be securely saved in that browser. Could you please try to open https://start.1password.com/signin in Chrome, enter the domain-address for your family account, press Enter, and check if your Secret Key is saved there?

If it is, you will need to enter your Master Password and sign in to your account. Please let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• copycath
    copycath
    Community Member

No, unfortunately the secret key does not appear when I enter the domain-address. The login screen just has three blank fields and when I enter my email address the secret key still doesn't appear. I have the 1Password extension installed but I am using Vivaldi, not Chrome, so maybe it didn't save the secret key.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @copycath,

If Secret Key is not saved in your browser now, we will need to start over with a new account, since we cannot reset it for you. I've just sent you an email with further instructions and explanations. Please check your inbox. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• copycath
    copycath
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. My account was deleted and I started again and things seem to be working now.
    Catherine

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@copycath: You are very welcome! I am glad to hear I was able to help. :chuffed:

Please contact us anytime in the future, we are always here for you. Have a great week!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.