Need a recipe 2 independent (v5 &v6) vaults -> Families

Options
ShadowDad
ShadowDad
Community Member

i want to upgrade to Families. i have 2 users old style, one V5.4.1 and one V6.8.1. both purchased in agile web store. i will be the organizer (am on 6.8.1) can you show me the steps that i need to go thru to end up with both users on Families. Ultimately want to have
Family Vault with shared info and passwords,
individual user Vaults for the stuff that doesn't need to be shared.
this is both a migration task and an organization task, would appreciate a suggested set of steps.. thx

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what kind of account do i have

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @ShadowDad :)
    Creating an account and migrating old data over to the account is not a problem. In fact, the steps needed to do so are all listed in a guide on the knowledgebase:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Give that guide a run through and see how it works. Let me know if you run into any problems.

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

i did review this, here is what is not clear from the instructions...

"To move your data manually
    If you have more than one vault, 1Password won’t ask to move your data to your new account. Learn how to move your items manually.
    To remove your old Primary vault, choose 1Password menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose 1Password menu > Delete Vault."

i have single vault in my account (replicated with dropbox) i will use this to set up the family account. i will pick what needs to be shared and what is goes into my private vault (i think this is how it will work)

my wife has her own vault, how do i then import her data into her own vault and merge unique info out of her vault into the shared vault?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Once you have the family created you, as the family organizer, will have to invite your wife to the family so she can create her own account and go through the same import process you just did. How to invite family members and share items between them is outlined here:

Share passwords with your family

Cheers. Let me know if I can help any further.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ShadowDad! Sure, we can help you with that. The first thing you'll need to do is upgrade the user that's on 1Password 5 for Mac to version 6. 1Password accounts require version 6, minimum. Once you've done that, you can visit the main 1Password Families sign-up page, create your account, invite your wife, then each of you can add your 1Password account credentials into 1Password for Mac, and move your data over from the existing vault(s) into your new account vaults using the instructions @Corey_C suggested. If you do have multiple vaults on either you or your wife's copy of 1Password for Mac, you'll want to move your data manually using these instructions (don't worry, it's still plenty easy). Finally, you'll want to remove your old local vaults from your respective copies of 1Password for Mac. Let us know if you have any further questions! :)

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

thx will give this a try over the weekend. since i have already purchased V6 on my machine i assume i can use the same key for C's machine? is there in spot in app to upgrade or do i just download and go from there?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ShadowDad - if your wife is licensed for 5.4.1, that means by definition she's also licensed for 6.8.1. However, don't go buying any licenses at all, if you're planning to switch to 1Password Families. 1Password accounts are paid via subscription -- you can see the details here. You should be able to just click "Check for updates" in the 1Password menu of your wife's Mac, but if that fails, you can always visit our downloads page and grab the latest version. Let us know how you get on!

• ShadowDad
    ShadowDad
    Community Member
    Options

ok team Agile, wife's machine is upgraded, families installed on my machine. i did not say delete original vault and now (of course) i see two copies of info when looking on my Mac. How do i delete the old vault, just kill the file in dropbox or is there something i need to do in the app?

i am going to start a new thread on moving items between vaults. it is not obvious.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ShadowDad To remove the old "Primary" vault (warning - be sure you've got everything you need in the Families account first!), open the main 1Password app, click the "1Password" menu in the top-left corner of the Mac's screen, choose "Preferences", and then click on the "Advanced" tab. Down at the bottom, untick "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". You'll be prompted to enter the master password of the "Primary" vault (this is the master password you currently unlock the Mac app with). If that master password is different from the master password of the first signed-in Family account member in the app, you'll then also be asked to enter that member's master password. After that, the "Primary" vault will be removed, and the app will unlock with the master password of that Family account member.

I hope that makes sense! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.