How do the current usernames and passwords get transferred to 1password?

Options
peggy555777
peggy555777
Community Member

I don't understand how to use this product. What do I do to start -- after I buy the product? Do I transfer all my current user names and passwords to 1password? What is the secret key for? I looked at the video and read info on the site, but am not certain what really happens.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do all my current passwords for apps, stores, websites get transferred to the 1Password?

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @peggy555777 :)
    Welcome to 1Password! Things can be a little daunting at first so let me see if I can break it down for you.

First off, your Secret Key. Your Secret Key works in tandem with your Master Password in order to protect your information. Think of them as two pieces of a key needed to open a lock. Realistically, though, you don't need to worry about memorizing your Secret Key. It is only needed when signing in to your 1Password account on a new device for the first time. Let's say you try to sign in to 1Password on your phone for the first time, or you get a new computer and want to log in there. You will need your Secret Key in order to do that. After the first time, only your Master Password is needed. So don't worry too much about it. Just keep your Emergency Kit safe and refer to it when you need to.

Second, entering your passwords and such into 1Password. That's where the browser extensions come in. Any time you sign in to a website, 1Password will ask if you want to add the log in to your vault if you haven't already. You could add them manually, but doing it through the browser is far easier. Keep doing this with your various websites and eventually they will all be transferred to 1Password. More information on how to use the browser extension can be found here

I hope that helps. If you need anything else clarified, I'm always here to help. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @peggy555777 -- thanks for joining us! We've worked very hard to make 1Password as accessible and user-friendly as possible while maintaining the highest level of security. We don't actually provide one-to-one instruction for using 1Password, but we do have a very comprehensive support site that includes an entire Getting Started section that will give you thorough, illustrated instructions on getting 1Password set up and working. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, or let us know if you run into any difficulties. Welcome aboard! :)

This discussion has been closed.