1PW does not come to front when first launched

Options
2»

Comments

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

Interestingly, this time it did not happen. That could be because I waited longer before trying to open 1Password due to setting up for a video screen capture. Maybe this issue is caused by trying to open the application window before it has loaded (or completed loading) in the background.

• @freeAgent: Clearly computer gremlins are out to make you look like a crazy person. :wink: I could definitely see slow launching at startup as being a possible cause. Do you have a larger number of programs that launch on startup at work? Maybe a slower hard drive than you do at home? Lots of stuff launching at startup or an HDD instead of an SSD in the problematic machine would push me in favor of your theory for sure.

For now, keep an eye on it and let me know if waiting after a restart consistently avoids the issue. Also, if you could send me a diagnostics report via e-mail, I'd appreciate it. This will let me take a peek at how long it's taking 1Password 6 to launch on this PC and at least let us know if we're making a decent guess here so I can do some more tinkering to try to reproduce it:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Do not post your diagnostics on the forum, but do include a link to this thread and your forum username. That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

Once we receive your diagnostics, I'll take a peek and let you know what I find out. :+1:

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

Done. This is a fairly quick laptop (Lenovo X1 Yoga, Core i5-6300u & 8GB RAM w/ SSD), but I do have a number of things running at startup that may be slowing 1Password down. I'm also impatient and try to start using various programs like 1Password as soon as my PC is responsive upon startup (for example, to look up my ProtonVPN password, which also runs at startup on this PC). I'll check this at home tonight on my PCs there if I can find some time.

• bundtkate
    edited October 2017
    Options

Got the diagnostics, @freeAgent, thank you! I'll take a look, you can see what you find out at home and we'll regroup later and share what we've learned. :chuffed:

ref: NSK-96812-163

• @freeAgent: After poking around your diagnostics, I noticed a minimized app state was saved to be restored by 1Password upon launch, which got me thinking. Sure enough, if I reboot and click the icon on my task bar as soon as I possibly can, 1Password 6 will pop up briefly and then minimize. One difference, in my case, st that it pops back up after minimizing and, thus far, I've not been able to keep it from ultimately coming to the front. All the same, I do think we're onto something here. Do you have any programs that open in the foreground on startup? I'm thinking of something that actually opens a window, not something that runs in the background. I have a fair bit that launches at startup, but nothing that actually presents a window right away that might get in front of 1Password during this process.

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

I have a few programs that launch with foreground windows either permanently or temporarily. The first is Skype for Business, which stays in the foreground until I minimize it. The other is ProtonVPN, which displays a window temporarily while it's loading (and it is fairly slow to start, so it stays up for a bit). I don't think I have anything else that presents a window on start on this PC.

• @freeAgent: Do you have the ability to keep those two programs from launching at startup temporarily? I'd love to know if you see similar behavior to what I'm seeing without other programs presenting windows.

• freeAgent
    freeAgent
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I just checked my home desktop (also very fast with a Ryzen 7 1800X, 32GB RAM and a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe drive) and it exhibits the same behavior. If I try to open 1Password right after logging in, it will minimize itself automatically and almost instantly. If I wait for some period of time for everything to have had a chance to start up and fully load, it doesn't do that.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@freeAgent: Thank you for working with us on it! :+1: I managed to reproduce the issue on my PC, so we will take a closer look at what is going on.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.