Hide password while typing

Options

Use case: When I create a new login in the 1 password application on windows and fill in the password, then it is written in cleartext while I am filling it in. This is undesired on my behalf, because others can see my screen.

Is it possible to make the password hidden while writing it? Cheers

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:hide while typing

Comments

• @CThule: While I totally understand your concern, we purposefully keep the password visible while editing to ensure folks can see what they're typing and correct errors. If you're concerned about someone memorizing a password while you type, is there a reason you can't use the password generator? You can click the generator icon next to the password field, then quickly double click anywhere outside the generator box and password text field to hide the newly generated password right away. With a long enough random password, there's just no way anyone will have the time to remember it before you're able to hide it. :+1:

• CThule
    CThule
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate,
    Thank you for the quick answer.
    I do not have a different random generated password for every entry, and neither would I want to. Though you suggestion would be fine.
    However, the issue still exists for e.g. credit cards when entering the pin.

• Why not have different random passwords for each entry, out of curiosity, @CThule? For me, that's one of the major benefits of 1Password. I can have totally ridiculous passwords because I don't need to remember them. If you asked me my GMail password, I literally wouldn't be able to tell you without looking in 1Password to figure it out, which I still think is awesome.

Regarding PINs, I get you there. Since those are short and don't need to be filled online, I actually don't even save them in 1Password myself, I just remember them. Still, it's a good point that these would be easily memorized if someone were looking over your shoulder while you type. I don't want to make any promises, but I'll certainly pass along your feedback. :+1:

• CThule
    CThule
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for passing it along :)
    One of the reasons is Windows Phone, I used to use that, and there was no 1Password app. Other than that I might need to sign in to some non-important account on other computers than my own, and I prefer to keep a simple password for some of those services to make the process smooth.

• @CThule: That totally makes sense and I'm glad to hear you're still taking advantage of the password generator some (most?) of the time. :chuffed: Ultimately, it's up to you what makes you more comfortable, but you could also consider word-based passwords as an alternative for those you need to be memorable. These can be generated too allowing you to quickly hide them when creating a new item. You can then refer back to add them to your brain's "vault" too once you're somewhere your screen is safe from screen surfers. :+1:

Thanks again for the feedback. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.