1Password requiring re-entry of Master Password...

sardina266
sardina266
Community Member

Hi there,

I have recently taken note that 1Password is requiring I enter my master password after a few hours although I have set the “Require Master Password” setting (in Advanced … Security) to After Device Restart. For the avoidance of doubt, I have gone through a few alternate configurations and none seem to be kicking this setting back into the expected behavior.

Is this a known issue? If so, when can we expect a fix?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11 (15A5370a)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sardina266: I'm not seeing that here, but I'm not running the iOS beta either. I've seen similar reports there in some cases though. Can you confirm what you have selected in 1Password Settings > Security? Mine always requires the Master Password after restarting, but it does other times as well when I trigger a Touch ID lockout due to failed "attempts" (accidental). Let me know what you find!

• plastik
    plastik
    Community Member

I too, am running into this issue on my iPad. I’m running iOS 11 beta 8 and 1Password 6.8.1. Mine is set to require master password after restart. I’m not accidently triggering Touch ID on an iPad.

• Thanks for reports here, folks. We've been seeing this as well and are working on tracking it down.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

I wanted to offer a different perspective I am also running the iOS developer beta 10 but I don't have this issue actually. I'm running 1Password 6.8.2, my security setting is set to once every day and after device restart.

I can send some logs or something whatever helps.

• Hey there @AskAli, now that we've got an iOS 11-only build out on our beta channel I'd be curious to know if you're still hitting the same thing.

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@MrRooni I'm not on the 1Password iOS beta so I can't test that. But I'd be happy to try if I was on the beta ;)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@AskAli Can you shoot us an email at support+forums at agilebits dot com? The + is important as it puts you in the right place.

Please mention you want to be in the iOS beta, a link to this thread, and my name (Kyle) and I'll get you taken care of so you can test this out.

ref: PTY-43297-661

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member

@AGKyle Done! Is it possible to have both the beta and stable on your device at once?

And thank you so much.

• @AskAli,

it is not due to the way TestFlight works, any TestFlight build could become the release build.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@rudy Gotcha. Thanks! I’ll test it out once I get the email back.

I’m especially eager to test because iOS 11 GM, the final build, leaked actually. I managed to download it before they stopped signing the IPSW.

Although I’m sure everyone else on the beta will have it in a few days now.

• Thanks AskAli,

We're looking into it. For obvious reasons, we can't use the leaked build, but we do try the builds as soon as they are officially available to us.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Wow. I really like the new changes especially how you can touch a favorite and quickly copy it. I wish that could be implemented across all items and not just the favorites section but I’m not sure if that’s the best course of action, it could make the normal details page obselete. Not sure if you plan to bring this over to the Mac but that’d be great, but the Mac has so much real estate to work with I’m not sure of how useful it’d be. But it’d be very aesthetic looking.

The fresh design change is nice, your designers are very good. Welcoming design like this is part of what brings people to 1Password in my opinion. It’s why I chose it over others. It seemed easier to use.

So far I haven’t had the problem with re-entering my master password in the 6.9 beta but it’s only been 20 minutes. I’ll update again as I keep using it.

The new intro video is especially nice, I think it’s really welcoming to first time users, I wish I had it when I first started.

Few questions though, how come when I open a website through the app and have it fill it uses your browser, to be honest I’d prefer to use mobile safari but that’s just me.

Also unrelated as this is for Mac but isn’t watchtower supposed to update every day? Mine doesn’t do that. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve seen it say last updated 2 days ago many times and I’ve had to manually update it.

Also out of curiosity, how come whenever I run the beta on my iPhone the name is truncated? If I run the App Store version on my home screen it simply says 1Password. If I run the beta it says “1Passw...” I’m guessing it might be because when you run a beta you get a little indicator next to it and that takes up space?

Also, is it possible to have the Mac only prompt you with the master password after device restart similar to how it is on iPhone. It’d be nice to see the same options among both platforms.

Sorry for the bombardment of questions and thoughts/rambling. :(

• @AskAli,

Quite the post…

Few questions though, how come when I open a website through the app and have it fill it uses your browser, to be honest I’d prefer to use mobile safari but that’s just me.

I could see this useful as a global toggle, but I suspect it would be exposed such that it would use the standard Open With… sheet that Apple provides.

Also unrelated as this is for Mac but isn’t watchtower supposed to update every day? Mine doesn’t do that. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t. I’ve seen it say last updated 2 days ago many times and I’ve had to manually update it.

Watchtower should check for updates every 24h, but there aren't always updates.

Also out of curiosity, how come whenever I run the beta on my iPhone the name is truncated? If I run the App Store version on my home screen it simply says 1Password. If I run the beta it says “1Passw...” I’m guessing it might be because when you run a beta you get a little indicator next to it and that takes up space?

Not seeing that here. I see an indicator to the left of the title and it says "1Password". I deleted the version i had and re-installed from TestFlight, same result.

Also, is it possible to have the Mac only prompt you with the master password after device restart similar to how it is on iPhone. It’d be nice to see the same options among both platforms.

I think you can effectively achieve this by unchecking all the checkboxes on the Security tab in prefs?

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

@rudy, Sorry about that! I did find some bugs however, I submitted it via email.

This is what I mean by truncation. In the first picture I'm running the beta, second is the version from the app store. Very minor, it's not even a bug, just something I noticed. I suppose it's the indicator taking up space.

EDIT: As I redownloaded the beta after submitting this post, now I see this as you described earlier. Not sure why that is. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Edit again: It went back to the truncated form, oh well, doesn't really matter.

• @AskAli,

I'd chalk that one up to an OS bug for now, we don't really have any control over what apple does on the springboard screen.

Rudy

• AskAli
    AskAli
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Update:

@MrRooni Been using iOS 11 GM with the newest 1Password (6.9 BETA 6) for a couple days now. Still never seen the re-entering master password bug.

Everything works fine.

• @AskAli,

Thanks for the update.

Rudy

• sardina266
    sardina266
    Community Member

Update: I have updated to the public release of iOS, deleted and re-installed 1Password and the issue persists.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sardina266: Thanks for letting us know! Since this seems to affect the stable release of iOS 11 and 1Password as well, we'll continue the discussion here:

Touch ID unavailable, Master Password required [under investigation]

This discussion has been closed.