How do I conveniently share 1Password entries with ProtonMail?

Options
jje
jje
Community Member

On an iPhone, I see a number of options to share 1Password entries after selecting the first '... More' button. These are 'Message', 'Mail', 'Reminders', 'Add to Notes' and a bunch more. Is it possible to add 'ProtonMail' to this list since I would like to share 1Password entries with ProtonMail.

Right now, to share using ProtonMail, I export the item(s), and attach them to a ProtonMail message. The receiver then imports them into 1Password. Quite a nuisance.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.3.3
Sync Type: WLAN Server

Comments

• Hi @jje,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I'm not personally familiar with ProtonMail, but unless you are encrypting your email (with PGP or similar) we would not recommend sharing 1Password data through that channel. Email is not a secure protocol -- it happens in plain text.

If ProtonMail does not currently appear in the list under the "More" button I don't believe there is anything we can do on our end to make them appear there. My understanding is that apps advertise to the OS what types of interactions they support, and then the OS makes those apps available when apps request a list of apps that support that particular interaction... if that makes any sense. I will check with our development team to see if there is anything we can do, though.

There may be a better way to securely share 1Password data. Would you mind telling me a bit more about your use case? What sort of relationship do you have with the people who you are sharing with? Do you typically share a number of items with those people?

Ben

• jje
    jje
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

Thanks for replying so quickly.

If it the other app's responsibility (in my case ProtonMail) to integrate with 1Password, that's all I need to know.

Thanks again,
    John

• Thanks @jje. They don't need to integrate with us specifically. They just need to be set up to accept a "string" via sharing, which it appears they are not currently. Both Mail and Gmail appear to work, and do not contain any code specific to 1Password.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.