German translation on Windows

Options

Hey there,

I am very satisfied with 1password so far. One thing I am missing very deeply though is a german translation on windows. I could not find many topics about this or maybe I just have looked in the wrong way.

1. Will there be a german translation for 1Password (WIN) 6 and when?
  2. I have found that 1Password 4 does include some translations. What downsides are there if I used that? I am using all the cloud services with different accounts and devices...

Thanks in advance,
Magemo

1Password Version: 6.7.457
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:translation

Comments

• Hi @magemo,

Thanks for writing in.

Will there be a german translation for 1Password (WIN) 6 and when?

Yes, 1Password will get localization support in the near future but no ETA. German will definitely be one of the first to be added as we have German co-workers on our team who is always helping with the translations.

I have found that 1Password 4 does include some translations. What downsides are there if I used that? I am using all the cloud services with different accounts and devices...

1Password 4 does not support 1Password.com memberships, which is why we built a new codebase in 1Password 6 and why it is missing translations, it is taking us time to re-implement everything that 1Password 4 has and more.

The good news is that 1Password 6 is far more Unicode compatible than 1Password 4, so it will be able to support more languages that 1Password 4 couldn't.

• magemo
    magemo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick response. Hopefully there will be an updated version within the near future.

To me it is a big downside that there are different versions for Windows and Mac. Of course I understand the necessity, different code bases, lots of work to do etc. Anyway the current pricing is quite a mouthful and not only the missing translation on Windows but also many small but noticable differences between the platforms bother me and many other cross-platform users I know.

Since the community and the app in general are really great and AgileBits has achieved so much I really hope you will get this sorted out soon. If you need any help, let me know.

Best,
    Magemo

• Hi @magemo,

We do understand and 1Password 6 for Windows is actually the closest Windows version that is more consistent with the experience that 1Password apps on macOS and iOS provides, it is unlike anything that 1Password 4 for Windows was.

We're working as fast as we can to complete the rest of the features and making sure it is consistent across all platforms. Unfortunately, Windows doesn't make it easy, Apple built a lot of nice stable APIs that saved a lot of times and development efforts that we have to build manually on Windows.

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to say, that I also really looking forward into a German translation. I have several colleges and family members who would love to use 1Password, but can't right now, as their English is too bad for that. So I think you'd gain a bunch of new subscribers if you'd add translations...

Nevertheless Keep up the great work guys. Made an impressive progress so far! And as far as I am concerned there is no, really no alternative for 1Password.

Cheers

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@tylex: Thank you for your kind words! Your feedback is making us better. :chuffed:

We can't wait to start translating 1Password.com and 1Password 6 for Windows ourselves. Please stay tuned! ;) In the meantime, please do not hesitate to raise any other questions you might have, we are always ready to help. Thanks!

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

I have several colleges and family members who would love to use 1Password, but can't right now, as their English is too bad for that.

Same here. A german translation of the apps and 1password.com would be very, very good!

• Thanks, Kristian, for your request. This is an important issue for us and we will have translations, including German, in all 1Password apps.

This discussion has been closed.