1PW 6 won't open on Windows 10

My wife is running 1Password on her Windows 10 laptop. She recently got a notice to update from version 4. Apparently the update failed after deleting the executable, so she could no longer open version 4, but version 6 had not been installed.

I manually downloaded the latest version, but it won't open. When she tries to open it she gets a window asking for a Sign-in address, an Email address, a Secret Key and a Master Password. We don't have a Secret Key, and she can't get past this screen without it.

What do we need to do to persuade the program to open?

1Password Version: 6.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @dginley,

Thanks for writing in. I apologize for the issue your wife is having. It sounds like she may have an anti-malware solution installed that was interfering with 1Password's update, like what McAfee or MalwareBytes is doing. Can you tell me if that is the case and what solution she is using?

If you guys are not subscribers to 1Password.com Families, you have to reinstall 1Password 4, 1Password 6 is not an update to 1Password 4 and it is currently only supporting 1Password.com memberships. 1Password 7 is coming with local vault support but no ETA on that yet.

To fix this (if you're using MalwareBytes, do not do this, tell us first as we need you to run a few diagnostics test first);

1. Uninstall 1Password 6 via Control Panel and other instances of 1Password, this will not remove the 1Password data.
    2. Download, but do not yet install, 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    3. Reboot, temporarily disable the anti-malware solution, and then install 1Password 4. It should install without any issues now.

Let me know if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.