Firefox and 1Password 4 [outdated information from 2017]

Options
2»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RoadRunner1963: So long as the browser, 1Password, and the extension are up to date, it should work for you. Be sure to let us know if you encounter any issues there.

• RoadRunner1963
    RoadRunner1963
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, I appreciate your efforts and thank you for your answer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• mdc64
    mdc64
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I am just changin my PC and wants to continue to use my 1Password 4.6.2.626 and its extension in Firefox. On both PC, I have the same configuration and softwares :
    1Password 4.6.2.626
    Firefox 63.0.3 (64 bits)
    1Password extension 4.7.3.90
    It works fine in FF with my old PC. But on the new one, 1Pwd extension is gray. How could I solve this issue ?
    Kind regards.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mdc64: Make sure you have Native Messaging enabled in 1Password Help > Advanced, and that you don't have any "security" software interfering with the connection.

• sunbear
    sunbear
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks brenty. Turning on Native Messaging in 1Password Help > Advanced allowed the version 4.7.5 of the browser extension to work in firefox version 71.0 for me. I couldn't even install version 4.6.8 of the plugin. I got an error from firefox that the plug is corrupt.

It's unfortunate that the default setting of 1Password 4 seems to be to use the Websocket protocol (instead of Native Messaging) resulting in a greyed out 1password icon in firefox. This must trip up a lot of users who paid for the lifetime 1Password 4 license like me who prefer to keep their password vault in their local PCs rather than cloud (an option that is not available in newer versions of 1Password).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019
    Options

@sunbear: This discussion is about two and a half years old, and about 1Password for Mac, so there's bound to be some confusion. 1Password for Windows version 4 is 5 years old, and a lot has changed in Firefox since then too. So, to be honest, I'm surprised you were able to get it working at all. To be clear, we can't recommend sticking with outdated software at all, but especially in the context of something we're using to be more secure online. We have never sold anything like a "lifetime" license. A license never expires, and you can use it as long as you have a way to run the version you paid for. But it would be best to upgrade to avoid compatibility issues with modern OS and browser releases, which in turn gets you important security improvements.

Edit: I'll close this discussion to avoid further confusion. Feel free to start a new one if you have other questions.

This discussion has been closed.