Duplicate items after copying from Primary to Private vault

This discussion was created from comments split from: "Primary" vault not available online.

Comments

• Bruce_Ramsey
    Bruce_Ramsey
    Community Member

OK... I had a similar problem as Deedaday, and followed your instructions. I copied ALL from the Primary Vault to the Private Vault, thinking (assuming) it would NOT copy over duplicates. Instead I now have doubles of many many password entries, and singles of the few things that were different (missing from my new Private Vault).
    How do I remove the duplicates?

Please don't tell me "one-by-one"...

• Bruce_Ramsey
    Bruce_Ramsey
    Community Member

I also just duplicated all my items (about ten years worth) upon upgrading to Families and moving items from the Primary vault to the Private one.
    Sheesh. A warning would have been appreciated. Instead of simplifying my workflow, I will waste another hour trying to sort this out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bruce_Ramsey: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The only way you could duplicate them is if you migrated the same data multiple times. It's more likely that you simply have the same data in both your original vault and the destination you copied it to. So one option is to remove the old vault and keep only the new one. And you can always view a single vault at a time as well, if that helps. Cheers! :)

• Bruce_Ramsey
    Bruce_Ramsey
    Community Member

Thanks for getting back to me. The duplication occurred as described above: moving all items from the original "Primary" vault to the new "Private" vault (which listed fewer items after the initial setup). I was expecting a dialogue box (like in other programs: file exists - replace?). Instead I duplicated almost 300 items. When I realized that I looked for a "find duplicates" feature to remove them.
    Instead I did them one by one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bruce_Ramsey: Ah, sorry about that! Indeed, it's a bit difficult, as 1Password uses a new UUID for each item when copying between vaults. This is do avoid overwriting data. Data loss, I think, is worse than duplicates, but I agree that it would be helpful if 1Password could give suggestions in this area. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with something in the future. Thanks for the feedback on this!

This discussion has been closed.