Upgrade to new Mac forces us to buy another full price license as family sharing disappeared

tom_tom
tom_tom
Community Member

Dear AgileBits team,

For more then 3 years me and my girlfriend have been big fans of your software and it became our daily companion.
If anyone would have asked us about a good password manager we would always recommend it to them.

Back then I bought your software because it allowed me to use it on my girlfriends laptop as well.
I do appreciate good software and I am willing to pay for it. Unfortunately back then issues already started.
No one told me that there is a difference between the licensing from the App Store and the purchase through your website.
But we were able to setup family sharing and use it anyway.

As she switched now to a new laptop and had to reinstall everything, all of a sudden 1Password didn’t work anymore.
She was no longer able to use the pro-features, neither edit existing entries nor add new ones.

I opened a ticket to find out that you had some issues with Apple and the way the handle in app purchases.
No problem, I do understand that. Apple is not always the most flexible and friendliest store provider.

But instead of simply offering us a license key instead, so we could use the features I bought pack then for full price,
I get told I have to pay a second license, full price of course.

What is even more “funny”, I am recommended to buy a subscription based model, because this would allow family members to use the software.

Isn’t it ironic, a bought a software that allowed me to use it on multiple machines of my family. Due to technical difficulties with your provider, this is no longer possible. Well, fair enough. Instead of offering a solution that would help me as a customer, providing a license file for an installation outside the App Store, you tell me I should buy even more.
And even more “funny”, you recommend a subscription model that has the same “advantage”, family sharing, as the license I already bought back then.
Seriously? Do you still think I trust you? Next year you decide that family sharing is deprecated and that now all family members have buy their own subscription, just like you told me right now.

There would have been a very easy solution for this, you wouldn’t loose any money and you would have retained two long year customers and advocates for your software. As I said, technical difficulties can happen, no problem. The way you as a vendor handle this case is just disappointing (especially as 1Password should hold me most valuable information, like credentials, logins, credit cards, etc.)

Instead of this will now buy two new licenses, but for sure not from AgileBits. Definitely a no go.

Kind regards,
Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Tom ( @tom_tom ),

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty here. I see you've got an existing email conversation going with us on this issue. I'm going to see what we can do to help here and we'll be in touch soon by email.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: YLZ-44983-361

• tom_tom
    tom_tom
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

thanks for your reply. It seems that it is simply no longer possible to use it via family sharing due to various reasons, one being the in-app purchases. To bad to learn about this after it worked flawless for a couple of years.
    Louise from the support team is very kind and supportive, but it simply won't help me. Just stating that I can purchase another license or we switch to a subscription model (which every software vendor does at the moment, of course for some reliable revenue stream too) won't help me. I even had some discussions with your support team about 3 years ago when they told me the only way I could use it was through family sharing. So I followed what they said and did that, with the obvious result. Sorry but I don't have the emails from back then anymore, otherwise I would have cited them.

In the end I am always recommended a subscription model to pay monthly and it will make it easier, more functions etc. and in a long run also more expensive. But I am not really convinced anymore and will evaluate alternatives.

Kind Regards,
    Tom

• Tom

It is true that Apple does not allow in-app purchases to be shared using Family Sharing, but I'd still like to see if there is some way we can come to a mutually agreeable solution here.

I wasn't able to find your conversation with Louise (just an older one with Megan which is what I referenced above). Could you please post the support ID from your conversation with Louise so we can follow up?

Thanks!

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2017

Hey Tom. You can disregard the above request. I spoke with Louise and she'll be in touch with you through your existing email thread shortly.

Ben

ref: RUE-25943-453

• tom_tom
    tom_tom
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I just wanted to give a quick feedback on the great support I have received from you and Louise! She did a great job and was really supportive. She kindly provided me with a license. (strangely enough, even when I downloaded the app from the AgileBits website and installed, it said "licensed through AppStore". But everything seems to work here...)

After some frustration I am really happy about the support from AgileBits and also about the cool software! (please keep the standalone software alive ;) )

Thanks again and a big shoutout to Louise!

Regards
    Tom

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm so happy to hear it all worked out, Tom! On behalf of Ben and Louise, you're very welcome. Thank you for following up here to let us know about your experience - we love to receive feedback like this from our customers, and I'll make sure to forward your kind words to Ben, Louise, and the rest of our team.

I'm glad it all worked out and that you're enjoying 1Password again. If you ever need more help or have questions about 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

ref: RUE-25943-453

• sacha_sommer
    sacha_sommer
    Community Member

I am having the same problem as Tom did. What should I do to receive such a licence file?

Regards,
    Sacha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sacha_sommer: I've sent your license information via email. If you need something else, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your purchase details and post the Support ID you receive here. We'll be happy to help. :)

• Hi folks,

For anyone else reading... just to clarify the current situation: family licenses are no longer available. Purchases from the Mac App Store are in-app purchases which Apple doesn't not allow to be shared using Family Sharing:

What types of content can I share with Family Sharing? - Apple Support

Our web store only sells single user licenses. If you're looking to use 1Password with your family, 1Password Families is the solution:

Families - 1Password

If you're interested in transitioning please send us an email as Brenty outlined above and we'll be happy to help smooth the transition. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• sacha_sommer
    sacha_sommer
    Community Member

@brent
    I bought a lot of licenses! But I also bought Licenses from the Apple Mac app store. When I understand Ben correctly I cannot share 1Password purchased from the Apple Mac Store with my family? I hoped I could as well receive a license file as Tom did. Any chances?
    Regards, Sacha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sacha_sommer: We don't have any control over the App Store, but just shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your receipt(s) and we'll see what we can do to help. Please post the Support ID you receive here so we can track it down and get back to you quickly. Cheers! :)

• sacha_sommer
    sacha_sommer
    Community Member

Hi Brent(y) thank you for your feedback. Quick question: you are mentioning a Support ID. Unfortunately I don't seem to find it. Where would I have to look it up?
    Thanks and best regards,
    Sacha

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sacha_sommer: No problem! That will be in the message you receive in response when you contact us via email. It will look something like [ABC-12345-DEF]. :)

• sacha_sommer
    sacha_sommer
    Community Member

OK. I got the number #TWY-71616-738

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sacha_sommer: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. I'll get back to you shortly! :)

ref: TWY-71616-738

This discussion has been closed.