Update Setting Suggestion

Options
romad
romad
Community Member

You need to make 1Pwd aware of Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperSuper, Time Machine, and their ilk. When I go to update 1Pwd, the update process always tells me to delete the copies of 1Pwd that are on my CCC drive. Hello, there is a REASON 1Pwd is on the clone (or TM); deleting it defeats the whole purpose. What I've done is a convoluted procedure that ignores what 1Pwd wants and does what I NEED. I shutdown my external drives, run the update then have to reconnect my external drives. All that trouble could be avoided if the updater had a step where the users selected the 1Pwd installation they wanted to update.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Update setting suggestion

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @romad -- thanks for the suggestion! I wish it were that easy, unfortunately, it's not. As this page from 1Password support alludes to (but doesn't describe fully), 1Password needs to connect to the Mini, and macOS (specifically launchd) will launch whichever copy of the Mini it finds first. So, if you have multiple copies on your Mac, you may very well run into problems as a result. We can't force launchd to open a specific copy.

You don't actually have to delete your CCC/SuperDuper copies of 1Password...but you should definitely unmount backup drives with copies of 1Password on them before updating 1Password to a new version, and when launching it for the first time after a restart.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

So where is the 1Pwd Mini application stored? If it is just that app that is the problem, I could just have CCC not clone it. The main 1Pwd application HAS to be on the clone at all times so it is available if you 1) boot from the clone, or 2) restore from the clone.

• @romad,

Unfortunately not cloning mini will causing you to be unable to use 1Password at all, as the current version of 1Password utilizes mini as the brain for the Mac application.

Rudy

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, OK. I thought the "mini" referred to what the browser extension used for access to the 1Pwd keychain. So, I'm stuck with another workaround.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad -- yeah, we wish there were a more elegant way around this, but there just isn't for now. However, keep your eyes on our blog and updates, because that's something we'd like to change if/when we can. :)

This discussion has been closed.