Can 1Password help protect passwords at public access wifi sites?

Shaftoe
Shaftoe
Community Member

When traveling I want to use 1Password to log into my password secure web sites, e.g., email, bank, finance site. Is 1Password sufficient to keep the site passwords safe or do I need additional security such as a VPN to hide my passwords?

1Password Version: 6.8.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can 1Password help protect passwords at public access wifi sites?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Shaftoe: Great question! No. 1Password can't help with this in the way you're thinking, since it is not involved in your connections to websites in any way. So definitely use a VPN. SSL/TLS should be enough in most cases, but using some Wi-Fi hotspots requires installing self-signed certificates which could allow the owner to decrypt your traffic. And if vulnerabilities are found in SSL/TLS they won't protect you either. So a VPN offers an additional layer of security. Where 1Password comes in is generating long, random, unique passwords for each site, storing them, and filing them for you. So while 1Password cannot protect against compromised websites or connections, it helps ensure that if there is a problem, the damage is contained, since a password for one site which is captured will not be usable on others. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Shaftoe
    Shaftoe
    Community Member

Thanks brenty. I suspected that yours was the answer. I have been researching VPNs but I wanted to be sure I hadn't assumed away an easy solution to my password security issue. I have found that the discussions of VPNs seem focused on protecting internet destinations and private text and I have not seen any comments on password protection. So I wanted to be sure I was looking for the right type of product to protect myself. I appreciate the prompt response.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks brenty. I suspected that yours was the answer. I have been researching VPNs but I wanted to be sure I hadn't assumed away an easy solution to my password security issue.

@Shaftoe: No problem! It sounds like you've done your homework, but it never hurts to get another perspective. :)

I have found that the discussions of VPNs seem focused on protecting internet destinations and private text and I have not seen any comments on password protection. So I wanted to be sure I was looking for the right type of product to protect myself. I appreciate the prompt response.

Sure thing! The great thing about VPNs is they protect all traffic sent through them. So everything from the point where the data is encrypted on your device before being sent and then decrypted by your VPN provider before being forwarded to the target websites is just random noise to others on the network you're using. This is similar to how 1Password protects your data, just applied to internet communications. Cheers! :)

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member

Hi,

This thread causes me to ask a similar question but again nothing really to do with 1Password.

Should I open sensitive sites when on my mobile date, 3g or 4g?

What is your thoughts on that?

Thanks.

• Since we're getting a bit off the topic of 1Password for iOS here I've moved this thread to the Lounge. :)

I've personally never had any hesitation about using the cell networks to access secure sites.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.