To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do you protect against corrupt data?

Options
TDK1044
TDK1044
Community Member

I'm happy with 1Password from a security point of view, but what about the possibility of corrupted data? What if one or more of my entries becomes corrupted and therefore inaccessible? Is the data recoverable? Thanks.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@TDK1044: Backups. Ultimately, given the sad state of consumer OS filesystems, there isn't any way to truly protect against data corruption. So the only thing we can do is backup our data so that hopefully we've got a good copy of it somewhere. Now, when we're also using filesystems without data integrity checks for our backups we have the same problem, just hopefully mitigated by redundancy. Whether it's recoverable depends on the quality of the backup though.

However, with 1Password.com, the server validates data before accepting it, and it has redundancy and integrity checking that isn't available to most of us at home. And item history provides a great deal of granularity. So we kind of solve a few problems there by not only having offsite backups in the first place, but having them be more robust and reliable than anything we could afford to do ourselves as individuals. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Brenty. When you have all your most important data stored in one place, knowing that it can be recovered in an emergency is important.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're totally welcome! I couldn't have said it better myself. This helps me sleep better at night, both as a 1Password user and also as an AgileBits team member. :sunglasses: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.