To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

View vaults in browser

Options

When i open my 1password account from browser (my.1password.com), i see vaults and passwords. When is this data coming from? is agilebits storing my passwords in their servers?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When i open my 1password account in browser

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @lokesh_1password :)
    I'm sure a member of the AgileBits team will be by to explain this further soon, but I can hopefully ease some of your worries by explaining things how I understand them as a 1Password user.

In a general sense, yes, your data is stored on the AgileBits servers for the purpose of syncing and backups. However, neither they nor nobody other than you has access to it. Your data, as I understand it, is stored as an encrypted hash. To anyone else other than you, your data is a jumbled up mess of garbage information that cannot be read nor deciphered in any way whatsoever. The only way to turn that jumbled up mess of garbage into anything remotely useful is with the use of both your Master Password and Secret Key in tandem, both things that only you posses. Neither AgileBits, nor anybody else, has those two things and without them, the data is entirely worthless and unusable. So even if someone was able to get into the highly secured AgileBits servers and gain access to your data, it would be worthless to them as it would simply be a jumbled mess of indecipherable garbage. It only appears as readable information to you because you, and only you, possess your Master Password and Secret Key.

I hope that helps alleviate some of your fears and I'm sure an AgileBits team member will be by with further information soon. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

When i open my 1password account from browser (my.1password.com), i see vaults and passwords. When is this data coming from? is agilebits storing my passwords in their servers?

@lokesh_1password: Great question. As Corey_C mentioned, the answer is "yes and no". "Yes", since if you're using 1Password.com, your data is hosted on our server; but also "no" because all of it is encrypted locally on your device, with "keys" that are never transmitted to us (your Master Password and Secret Key). So this way, even if someone breaks into our server and steals everything we have, they cannot access your data because only you have the keys to decrypt it. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.