To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Do I need to set up a family account if my wife and I share a gmail account and have joint accounts

Options
ANDERSMT
ANDERSMT
Community Member

My wife and I share an email account and nearly all our financial accounts are joint. Do I need to set up a family account or 1 or 2 individual accounts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Do I need to set up a family account if my wife and I share a gmail account and have joint accounts

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @ANDERSMT :)
    Welcome to 1Password. As I understand it, Individual accounts are meant for individual, separate people and have no easy and secure way of sharing information. If you wish to share information between you and your wife, a family account is indeed what you want. That way you can share the pertinent logins between yourselves, while still having a place for each of you to put personal things that are not shared.

Cheers,
    Corey

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ANDERSMT - just chiming in here. @Corey_C is right on -- but to provide you a bit more explanation, two individual accounts would actually wind up costing you and your wife more, for less functionality. An individual account is $35.88/yr, and you'd need two -- or $71.76 annually. A 1Password Families account costs $59.88/yr and allows up to five family members. Each member gets his or her own personal vault as well as access to the Shared vault that all family members can see/use. In addition, a Family Organizer can create as many additional shared vaults with only certain family members having access, as seems necessary. In short: a 1Password Families account is a much better deal for, well, a family. :)

I know you said your wife and you share nearly everything, but if you had your data in two separate (non-shared) Individual accounts, if one of you updated a password for your bank, say, the other would never know it had occurred unless the person who changed it remembered to tell the other what the new password is. Otherwise, you'd be out someplace important and need to access your bank information and, nope! Not a good situation. Additionally, you and your wife probably do have at least some things individual to each of you. For example, you each probably have at least one individual email account. You may have separate facebook or Twitter accounts, or whatever. With a 1Password Families account, you each can keep the things only you should have in your Personal vault, and the things you want to share, like bank accounts and even the family Netflix password, right in the Shared vault.

The choice is up to you, of course, I just wanted to give you reasons why we think 1Password Families is far better suited for someone in your situation. Either way, welcome to 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.