Old version of 1Password won't open [legacy 32-bit apps cannot run on iOS 11 or 12]

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
edited September 2018 in iOS

Important: If you're using 1Password 3 on iOS 9 or 10, follow this guide to migrate your data to 1Password 6. DO NOT upgrade to iOS 11 or 12 until you've successfully migrated to 1Password 6.

AgileBits Update: A potential solution (assuming all requirements are met) has been found for this issue. Please see below.

If you have been using a very old version of 1Password (version 3), it is not compatible with iOS releases of recent years, and will not run at all on iOS 11 or 12. Since iOS 9, we’ve been pushing out successive in-app warnings that a new version of 1Password is available. In iOS 10 our warning was more emphatic, urging you to upgrade immediately to avoid data loss. Unfortunately, if you’ve ignored these (and Apple's) warnings and upgraded to iOS 11 or 12, 1Password 3 will not open at all.

We don't have your data, but you may be able to recover it if you can confirm some preliminary requirements. Please read the following carefully and follow the instructions at the end:

Requirements

1. You must know the Master Password to recover your information

When you initially began using 1Password 3 (the old version) on your iPhone, you were prompted to create a 4-digit unlock code and a Master Password (you may not remember creating a master password, but you did; otherwise, you would not have been able to use 1Password 3). If you think you know what it might be you can proceed with the recovery procedure, and, when asked for the Master Password, you can guess what you think it is. There is no penalty for guessing as many times as you like; you won't be "locked out."

iPad users: If you were using 1Password 3 on an iPad, then there is no 4-digit unlock code; instead, you had only a Master Password to unlock 1Password. If you know that, you can use it to recover your data.

2. You must still have 1Password 3 on your device

1Password 3 will not open in iOS 11 or 12. However, you must be able to see (note the present tense) the 1Password 3 icon on your iOS device. If you delete 1Password, your data is gone. Reinstalling the app from the App Store will not restore your deleted data.

The icon looks like 'A' or 'B' in this image. You must be able to see that icon on your iOS device.

3. You must have a Mac or Windows PC

In order to recover data from your iOS device, you will need either a Mac with Yosemite or higher or a PC with Windows 7 or higher. If you don't have a computer of your own, you can borrow one from a trusted friend or relative.

Instructions

If you meet the above requirements, learn how to recover your 1Password 3 data from an iTunes backup on your Mac or Windows PC.

Background

And at the beginning of 2017, with plans to remove support for 32-bit apps (such as 2009's 1Password 3) in iOS, Apple added a warning when launching them, like this:

"1Password" Needs to Be Updated

But since iOS 9, 1Password 3 has been warning users that it has been retired (since the release of 1Password 4 in 2012 it has not been under active development), with the latest coming:

1Password 3 Retired

1Password 3 Retired 1Password 3 is not compatible with iOS 11 or 12. To save your passwords and data, please upgrade now.

When you tapped "Skip", this message would appear again the next week; if you tapped "Later", it would appear again on the next launch; "Learn more" took you to instructions on our support site (iOS 10 or earlier) to migrate to a newer version, on iOS 9, 10, and 11 (1Password 6, or iOS 12 (1Password 7).

The icon for 1Password 3 will be either A or B, depending on the specific version you purchased:

Comments

• darabbadiee
    darabbadiee
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I cannot open my 1password app under IOS 11 - a message says that an upgrade is required - but a follow-up message says that developer has not submitted an updated version ... I am really concerned as I am totally shut out ...

DB

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017

It sounds like you were using a very old version of 1Password which we call 1Password 3. Since iOS 9, we’ve been pushing out successive in-app warnings that a new version of 1Password is available. In iOS 10 our warning was more emphatic: "1Password 3 is retired. 1Password 3 will NOT work on future versions of iOS. Upgrade now to avoid data loss". Unfortunately, now that you’ve upgraded to iOS 11, 1Password 3 will not open at all. However, you may be able to recover your information if you can confirm some preliminary requirements.

Preliminary Requirements

1. When you initially began using 1Password 3 (the old version) on your iPhone, you were prompted to create a 4-digit unlock code and a Master Password. (You may not remember creating a master password, but you did; otherwise, you would not have been able to use 1Password 3.)

You must know the Master Password to recover your information. However, if you think you know what it might be you can proceed with the recovery procedure and when asked for the Master Password for 1Password 3, you can guess what you think it is. You can guess as many times as you like; you won't be "locked out."

iPad users: If you were using 1Password 3 on the iPad, then there is no 4-digit unlock code; instead, you enter the master password to unlock 1Password.

1. 1Password 3 will not open in iOS 11. However, you must be able to see (note the present tense) the 1Password 3 icon on your iOS device. The icon looks like 'A' or 'B' in this image.

2. You must have a Mac or Windows PC.

If you meet the above requirements, learn how to recover your 1Password 3 data from an iTunes backup on your Mac or Windows PC.,

Ben

• darabbadiee
    darabbadiee
    Community Member

oh Lordi ... thanks Ben ... sure appreciate it ... I had no idea this is the outcome ... I have many of my passwords in this tool so your help is much appreciate ... let me get busy ... talk to you all soon ...

• Alrighty. :) Please let us know.

Ben

• darabbadiee
    darabbadiee
    Community Member

Hi Ben;

I have not received the Support ID from you folks - I trust you will be sending me instruction for how I can retrieve my old data from the tool (1Password) ... thanks ...

DB

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

@darabbadiee

I don’t see an email from you in our inbox. Did you send one? Either way, unfortunately it doesn't appear we received the email I requested here, so please send another one, and let us know here once you've done so. Sorry for the delay.

Ben

ref: PCV-34372-798

• jova0202
    jova0202
    Community Member

I too had older version of 1Password, had updated to iOS 11 and the app is dead. My support ID is [#NQS-22283-499].

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

Ben, please help. My wife had an older version of 1P on her iPhone (3x) and when she updated to iOs 11, she too can not access her app. So, I purchased a family plan (I've been a user for a while) and added her onto it and we downloaded the latest version of 1P for her iPhone and it installed fine. Now we have the old version and the new version on the iPhone. But all of her data is on that old version that won't open. We've got to get that data out of there. To complicate matters, I have no idea where that data is being stored. There doesn't appear to be a keychain file in her Dropbox like there is in mine, as she does not use her 1P with her computer, just on her phone. I looked at the info you provided for the folks above but not sure our party would be the same. She only knows her four-digit number that she's been using for years and doesn't remember ever using anything but. She is desperate to retrieve her info which is undoubtedly in there somewhere but we don't know what to do. Please help ASAP. I know it's a Saturday but if you're reading this, please help. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jova0202: Thanks! I see that Steve has already replied via email, so we can continue the conversation there. :)

ref: NQS-22283-499

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@braoudap: 1Password 3 is very, very old and it hasn't been able to sync with Dropbox for years, so that wouldn't be an option. And, as Ben mentioned above, without the Master Password, it will not be possible to decrypt the data and transfer it to the new app. If she only knows the 4-digit PIN and not the Master Password she setup, there isn't anything that can be done. If, however, she remembers her Master Password, have her follow Ben's instructions above so we can work with her via email to try to transfer the data manually.

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

What if I restored the old iOS from a backup so I could get back into the old version? If I were able to do that and I was able to get back into the app, what would I need to do to get that data out of there and then get it into a new version?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What if I restored the old iOS from a backup so I could get back into the old version?

@braoudap: I'm not sure I'd be comfortable recommending that for a few reasons:

• It could be very difficult, this is unsupported by Apple, and you would lose any changes you'd made since then.
    • iOS backups (iCloud/iTunes) are often unreliable. They don't always restore all apps and their data (it isn't clear if this is a problem with the backup itself, or the restore process).

That said, it's totally your call. If the risk/cost of attempting this is less than that of losing the data, it may be worth a shot. That's just a calculation only you can make.

If I were able to do that and I was able to get back into the app, what would I need to do to get that data out of there and then get it into a new version?

If you're able to run 1Password 3 and access the data (should work on iOS 10 or earlier, but it does crash and experience other issues past iOS 5 or so), you will not be able to migrate the data in an automated fashion, as you'd still need the Master Password for 1Password (6) to read and copy the data. But you'd be able to copy everything somewhere else by hand so you'd at least have it.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

What if I restored the old iOS from a backup so I could get back into the old version?

iOS itself is not contained in a backup; thus you cannot revert to an earlier version of iOS by restoring a backup.

(there is a technically complicated way to obtain versions of iOS itself and install those, but even then only versions of iOS that Apple "approves"; currently iOS 11.0 and iOS 10.3.3 - at some point in the not so distant future they will only allow iOS 11 and higher)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. I did it once long ago, but it wasn't easy then — and it's my understanding that it is even more difficult now.

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

Guys, thanks so much for your help, but I simply can't let this go. There's a TON of passwords that are stuck in that program and I absolutely, positively have to be able to get in there. My wife's entire life is in there. I've GOT to be able to get to that data. Please, please help me figure out a way to get to that data. There's got to be a way. Please help.

• braoudap
    braoudap
    Community Member

I did, by the way, send an email to the support+forum@agilebits.com address with master password and haven't heard anything back yet, but am hoping that something comes of that.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

Please do not send us your Master Password. We simply need to know that you know it. If you've sent us the information requested above we'll be in touch by email ASAP.

I've updated the original post to clarify that you should not send us the Master Password (you should never share this information with anyone).

Thank you.

Ben

ref: SCF-34416-857

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

While it currently still is possible to restore to iOS 10 it might be easier to buy/rent/borrow a device that is still running iOS 10?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

@XIII I'm not sure I see how that would help? Ah, nevermind. I see what you're saying. But I'm not sure that is the route we'd recommend.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I’m sorry, but I somehow missed that there are two people reporting a (different) problem in this single thread...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries. :)

• ema7
    ema7
    Community Member

My support ID is [#IWS-87132-838]
    I really need you help!!

• applebits
    applebits
    Community Member

Hi! I'm piggy-backing off this thread because I have the same issue. I've sent an email already and my support ID is [#EGT-89898-376].
    I'm using an old version of 1Password which was only on my iPhone. Now that I've updated to iOS 11, I can no longer access the data. And I do have both my 4-digit PIN number as well as my Master Password.

Please help! Back when I was looking for a password organizing app, I tried out about a dozen different ones and found 1Password to have the best combination of features and flexibility. I love this app and would want to be able to continue using it! Thanks much!!

• Thank you both for the reports. I've passed them along to the appropriate team and you should be hearing back soon.

Ben

• dusky1
    dusky1
    Community Member

I think on Sunday I updated my phone (iphone SE) to IOS 11. I used IOS 10.3.3 before. Today I tried to open the app 1Password and it does not work. The application prompts me to enter the master code. Even if I paste the correct code, the application says it is wrong. Before that, I also had a fingerprint, there is no one there and I can not sign up. Please solve. Well thank you.

support ID is [#UBW-87955-957].

• brespa
    brespa
    Community Member

Same thing happened to my husband. Support id is [#KEN-96736-264]
    Any help is appreciated!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dusky1, @brespa: Thank you. We'll be in touch via email shortly.

ref: UBW-87955-957, KEN-96736-264

And for anyone else, please see Ben's post above for more information. It is only possible to recover the data if certain conditions are met.

• lhy0512
    lhy0512
    Community Member

Help!! I have the exact same problem.
    My support ID is [#JYS-36932-138]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@lhy0512: Thanks! We'll be in touch via email to discuss the details.

Again, keep in mind that if you do not know your Master Password and have a computer with iTunes which you can backup the device to, it won't be possible to recover the data.

ref: JYS-36932-138

• ingmar
    ingmar
    Community Member

Hi there, here is my support ID [#RBY-85855-344]
    Please help...

This discussion has been closed.