To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Master Password not working?

Options

I had my own personal account.
I then joined my business account.

I'm signed into my personal and business and they are listed out as two separate vaults.
I'm signed in on both my phone and computer.

But if I try to sign on with the business email, the account key, and my Master password I get rejected on the website and on the ipad.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @anoopkansupada! Each time you create a 1Password account or install a new copy of 1Password with local vaults instead of an account, you'll be asked to choose a Master Password. Your Master Password is what generates the actual encryption key for your data, and only you know it.

However, since we're called 1Password and not 2orMorePasswords, we want to make sure you only have to remember one password, not as many Master Passwords as you have accounts. So we perform a little magic inside your 1Password applications. Namely, the first vault you create or account you sign into will be the Master Password for that app (on Mac, Windows, iOS or Android). If you add subsequent accounts, you'll need the sign-in details only that first time, when you add that 2nd (or 3rd, 4th) account into the app. After that, your already-existing Master Password will unlock all other accounts, so you only have to remember that one Master Password.

What this means in practice, though, is that if you used a different Master Password for your business account than you chose for your personal account, you'll need the actual account credentials (Secret Key and Master Password) to sign into it on any other device, because it's a different account. The good news here is that if you can still access the second account on your computer, you can visit Preferences > Accounts and copy the actual login information (except the Master Password, which you'll need to remember), and use that to sign in on both your iPad and the web. Try that, and let us know how it works. :)

This discussion has been closed.