To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How do I apply an existing family password to 1Password6? There is no 'License...' menu item under t

jje
jje
Community Member

How do I apply an existing family password (purchased for 5 family members) to 1Password6? There is no 'License...' menu item under the '1Password6' menu. That is how I used to do it. That menu item now says 'Purchase 1Password'.

I asked AgileBits to resend my license. It send me an email. I clicked on the link in the email to apply the license. It took me to the 'Apply Your 1Password License File' web site. From there, I clicked on 'Allow' under 'Do you want to allow this page to open 1Password6'. It opened 1Password without applying my license. Stuck. Any help appreciated.

BTW, I sent support an email and a twitter in this regard and have not heard back.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: none
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jje -- I was able to locate your license in our back office, and I have resent it to you. On the computer onto which you're trying to install 1Password for Mac, please sign into your email and use the license link in the email you receive, to license 1Password. Let us know how that goes for you!

• jje
    jje
    Community Member

Thanks.
    Didn't work. I had tried that before, but I had forwarded the email I got from AgileBits to my daughter, and then clicked on the link. This time, from her computer I logged into my gmail account and followed the same procedure. Same result. I clicked on the link in the email to apply the license. It took me to the 'Apply Your 1Password License File' web site. From there, I clicked on 'Allow' under 'Do you want to allow this page to open 1Password6'. It opened 1Password without applying my license.

• jje
    jje
    Community Member

BTW: Clicking the link in the browser just downloads the license file. It does not install it. I assume the function that previously existed under 1Password->License... is still needed to install the license. That functionality seems to be missing in fresh installs of 1Password6. I'm guessing the only way around this may be to install 1Password as a free trial. Perhaps then the License... functionality will be there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jje -- if you don't see the "License" option in the 1Password menu, then you've probably downloaded and installed 1Password from the Mac App Store instead of from our downloads page. You can check by looking at the title of the app in the menubar of your daughter's Mac. Does it say 1Password 6, or does it say only 1Password? If it's the latter, then you've downloaded from the Mac App Store, and that's why you can't license it -- the Mac App Store version does not have a traditional license key; like all apps purchased through the Mac App Store, it's tied to your Apple ID.

If that's the case, what you'll want to do is uninstall 1Password and then download our version from the above link and install that. From there, licensing 1Password should function as you remember it.

• jje
    jje
    Community Member

Lars, thank you. That sounds like the issue. I’ll get back here once I get a chance to give it another go.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jje -- sounds good! Let us know if you hit any snags, and have a great weekend. :)

• jje
    jje
    Community Member

Works now. Thanks so much.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

On behalf of Lars you are most welcome! Have a great weekend. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

ref: FSQ-41865-696

This discussion has been closed.