To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Please help. Too many vaults and accounts

I see a lot of Q&A on this topic but can't find the exact solution to my problem. Please help by providing a step by step to this issue:

On my iPhone, I have the following:

3 vaults (Primary, Primary Vault, Personal)
Both "Primary" and "Primary Vault" are local vaults I believe. They were set up before I created the 1password.com account. "Primary" has 1,019 items. "Primary Vault" has 19 items.

The "Personal" vault was created when I created the 1password.com account and added that account to my iPhone. The "Personal" vault has 884 items.

Using 1password on my iPhone has never caused a problem for me because I can tell the app to show "All Vaults" and that works fine.

I recently bought a new Mac and added the 1password app to the new Mac. The problem I'm having is that I'm only able to see or use the "Personal" vault on the new Mac. I can't figure out how to add the items from "Primary" and "Primary Vault" to the "Personal" vault.

To compound the issue, I just created a new and separate 1password.com account. I created a "Family" account and thought I would somehow be prompted to add my other vaults to this new account as part of the set-up process. So now, I have TWO 1password.com accounts (a personal and a family account). The new Family account added its own default vault(s) to the big picture.

Here's what I would like to do:

1. I would like to move ALL of my items from ALL of my vaults ("Primary", "Primary Vault" and "Personal") into this new "Family" account. I want to keep the family account so I can start organizing items and sharing items with other members.
  2. Once everything is moved over to the new family account, I would like to cancel and stop paying for the original "Personal" account.
  3. I would like to be able to access ALL items (now consolidated) on ALL my devices (multiple computers, iPad and iPhone.

To clarify, I'm asking how to migrate the data from the two local vaults, into the web-based vault in the new account I just created. Additionally, I need to know how to migrate the data from the original web-based account into the new web-based "Family" account and vault.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ericsachs_seo: Thanks for reaching out! It's difficult to give step-by-step instructions when it sounds like you're not sure how you've set things up on each device, but with some additional information I'll do my best! I guess the question I still have is where is the data you want to keep? Is this in one vault in particular on a certain device, or in your 1Password.com account?

Having extra vaults you're not using isn't a problem at all. I'm more concerned about making sure that you keep all of your data if you decide you want to shift things around again and potentially delete any vaults/accounts. But if you're already certain about where all of your data is now, and where you ultimately want it to be, you can easily move it from one vault to another:

Move items between vaults

The important thing to keep in mind is that any local vaults (such as Primary) are completely separate from any 1Password.com accounts you may have signed up for. So if you're going to use a 1Password.com account going forward, I'd say the first step would be to move those to the Personal/Primary in the 1Password.com account you plan on keeping so that data will be available there for all your devices.

Once you have all your your data where you want it, in the account you're going to keep (you can verify this by viewing your data at 1Password.com in your web browser — just make sure you're looking at the correct account), you can sign into the other account — the one you don't want to keep, and Permanently Delete it from the bottom of your Profile page. If you've subscribed directly through 1Password.com, that's all you need to do. If, however, you subscribed through Apple, you'll need to cancel the subscription through them to avoid getting charged.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ericsachs_seo
    ericsachs_seo
    Community Member

The problem I'm having with the instructions you offered on this page: https://support.1password.com/move-share-items/
    is that they are instructions for how to move items in the desktop app and/or via ipassword.com. What I need are instructions on how to move items on the iPhone app please. Because the two main vaults are local (on my phone only), I need to get those items into a vault that's associated with one of my 1password.com accounts in order to do what I need to do.

Is there a way to move items from the local vault(s) on my phone, to a vault associated with a 1password.com account?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@ericsachs_seo on that page under "To move items in the apps" there are buttons you can press to switch between the various platforms. Click on the iOS button to get information on how to do it on iOS. :)

• ericsachs_seo
    ericsachs_seo
    Community Member

I just figured it out. Thank you all for your help. I think I'm good now but I'll let you know if I still have questions.

• ericsachs_seo
    ericsachs_seo
    Community Member

Seems like everything works! Awesome. I do have one question - Because I combined ALL of my data I appear to have ended up with some duplications. Is there a dedupe function?

• @ericsachs_seo: I'm glad to hear you're making progress! There isn't a way to automatically de-dupe, but I find using a combination of sort functions and Security Audit on the Mac app is helpful to make the process as painless as possible. To start, look at duplicate passwords in Security Audit. If you see two items with the same name AND the same password, it's likely you can just pick one to delete. Once you've cleaned up your items with duplicate passwords, you can sort by title in the All Vaults view and look at the date modified for duplicate items in the item details. Keep the one with the most recent date modified and hopefully the process isn't too painful. :chuffed:

As a bonus, if you do happen to get rid of the wrong item, you can always restore it from trash. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.