To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Can I subscribe without submitting my secret key and master password on a web form?

john.v
john.v
Community Member

I just started a trial subscription, but I'm wondering, do I have to use my secret key and master password for simple account maintenance, like, to pay you for the subscription?

If I click "Try it FREE" on the sign-up page, then "Already have an account? Sign in", I'm presented with a form that asks for "Email", "Secret Key", and "Master Password". This is information I do not wish to provide via a web browser, regardless of how you've designed the web site.

Is this the correct way to initiate a paid subscription? Will future account management also require that I provide full access to my vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sign up without sharing secret key and password

Comments

• Hi @john.v,

I love that you're thinking about this.

There's two parts to this. The first is that I have to address "regardless of how you've designed the web site". How we've built the website absolutely makes a difference here. Your Master Password and Secret Key never leave your computer, even when using our website. I realize that this seems counterintuitive because it's unlike every other service you've used, but it's true. We don't want your Secret Key, nor your Master Password. The less we know, the better. They're used on our website exactly the same way as they are in our native apps.

Now... to answer your overall question as it's an important one. Is the web the only way to pay for a subscription? The answer to that is no. If you're using the iOS app, or the Mac app from the Mac App Store, you can go into Settings/Preferences and choose to subscribe by way of an Apple In-App Auto-Renewing Subscription. If you're using the Mac app from our website, you can choose configure billing via credit card. The Android and Windows apps don't currently have any methods available within the apps.

Rick

• john.v
    john.v
    Community Member

How we've built the website absolutely makes a difference here ... never leave your computer

Sure, I understand completely. OTOH, I have to trust your developers just a little bit more, I have to trust myself that I'm actually viewing the correct "1password.com" website, and I have to trust that my web browser and network aren't compromised in some way (bad browser extension? man-in-the-middle attack?).

It's easier for me to just avoid sharing the master key to my universe on a web form.

If you're using the Mac app from our website, you can choose configure billing via credit card

Ok, thanks, I'll consider going this route. I would have preferred using the App Store, but the price is 30% higher that way.

• You make valid and correct points about the web form. We spent some time last week coming up with ways to address those concerns. We've come up with a few interesting ideas... hopefully they work in practice.

I would have preferred using the App Store, but the price is 30% higher that way.

The prices should be the same. What you're likely seeing is the difference between the monthly payments versus yearly payments. The apps only allow you to subscribe via the monthly payment subscription, but you can switch to the cheaper annual subscription in iTunes.

Rick

• john.v
    john.v
    Community Member

but you can switch to the cheaper annual subscription in iTunes

Oh, thanks again, I just subscribed!

I was able to change from monthly to annual on my iPhone with https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202039

• Perfect. :) Thanks for the update. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.