what is the difference between 1Password and 1Password 6 for the iMac.

Options
Torrianne
Torrianne
Community Member

I have both applications on my iMac. However, the 1Password account only seems to be a test one and the 1Password 6 gives me an error message "1Password failed to connect to 1Password Mini".
I paid $39.99 to run this program on my Mac and now I can't even sync it with my iPhone.
Please advise

1Password Version: 6.8.2 (682002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:what is the difference between 1Password and 1Password 6 for the iMac.

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @Torrianne :)
    From what I'm aware, the difference is one of them, the one called 1Password, is the one downloaded from the Mac App Store and the other one, called 1Password 6, is the one downloaded directly from the AgileBits website. They are not both necessary to have and may conflict with each other.

• Torrianne
    Torrianne
    Community Member
    Options

@Corey_C The 1Password one however shows all my logins as "read only" though. I am unable to sync my iPhone to either of the applications.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Where did you purchase 1Password from, might I ask? The App Store or the AgileBits store? And was it a standalone license or a subscription account?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Torrianne -- 1Password from the Mac App Store will show you data as read-only if you haven't either:

1. Made an in-app purchase of $64.99 for 1Password from the Mac App Store.
    2. Signed up for (or already have a 1Password membership

If you paid $39.99, it sounds as if either you got a discount of some kind, or you purchased a considerable time ago, as 1Password has not cost $39.99 in quite a while. That also would've been for a standalone license, not a 1Password account (membership). However, if you made your purchase from the Mac App Store, 1Password should not restrict you to read-only unless you've downloaded it using a different Apple ID than was used to make your purchase.

Can you let us know from where and approximately when you purchased 1Password?

This discussion has been closed.