request: Touch ID authentication to persist when sleeping the computer

JimmyTheSaint
JimmyTheSaint
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

On my MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, upon reboot, I enter my PITA master password, and from then on, I'd like to be able to unlock 1Password using Touch ID on the Touch Bar. After system sleep, however, and I think maybe also after 1Password's timeout, 1Password requires me to enter the master password again to re-enable Touch ID. I'd like to have Touch ID authentication available all the time until I specify otherwise, or at least just be required to enter my master password one time per system startup. Is there any way to make this happen?

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @JimmyTheSaint,

1Password for Mac's TouchID support does work across reboots, but there's the the option in preferences that dictates how often you'll be required to enter your Master Password with a maximum of once every 2 weeks.

This is unlikely to change. With 1Password for iOS we have the option to never force the entry of the Master Password and this has turned into a bit of a problem for us. We're finding that far too many users end up forgetting their Master Password.

In order for us to allow extending the duration of not requiring the password, we need to find a way to ensure that the user doesn't forget it. This is difficult to do. For some users this is easy, but we need to make sure it works for the vast majority of users.

Rick

• JimmyTheSaint
    JimmyTheSaint
    Community Member

As I said, it requires re-entering the password after every system sleep. I have the thing set for every two weeks, but in fact it requires entering the master password every time I open the lid, which is about 5-10 times per day. Am I missing something?

Suggestion to the forgetters out there: use a Diceware master passphrase.

• @JimmyTheSaint,

I see where @rickfillion ended up, based on your title it implied it wasn't retaining the information across reboots, when in fact you meant sleep. That's a bug that will be fixed with the 6.9 release.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.