Autofill not working on Chrome in Android 8.0 on Google Pixel

arti
arti
Community Member

I'm thinking about migrating from LastPass to 1Password & have been trialling 1Password on my Mac & Google Pixel phone.

On the Mac, this works beautifully but I am unable to get 1Password to fill my login forms on Chrome on my Google Pixel. I even have your keyboard installed but this often takes 2-3 tries to work & sometimes still does not work.

My questions are:
1) Do I still need the 1Password Keyboard to fill forms on Android Chrome?
2) If yes, why is it that LastPass has not needed this (for at least a year now) but 1Password does not have this key feature.
3) Are there any plans to have feature parity with LastPass as far as this feature is concerned?

Thank you
Arti

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 8.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

On the Mac, this works beautifully but I am unable to get 1Password to fill my login forms on Chrome on my Google Pixel. I even have your keyboard installed but this often takes 2-3 tries to work & sometimes still does not work.

@arti: Can you be more specific about what's happening? Are you getting an error of some kind? What's the environment: website, app? What are the exact steps you're taking, and what do you need to repeat a few times to be successful?

My questions are:
    1) Do I still need the 1Password Keyboard to fill forms on Android Chrome?

Yes. As far as I know no browsers offer support for Automatic Filling (Android 8 only) or OpenYOLO (4.1 and up) yet. That's where the 1Password Keyboard comes in handy.

2) If yes, why is it that LastPass has not needed this (for at least a year now) but 1Password does not have this key feature.

Automatic Filling and OpenYOLO are very new, only supported publicly in the last few months, and we moved to the 1Password Keyboard for filling a few years back because it's important to us to avoid relying on the clipboard, which any app can access, to protect our customers' security — and our own, since we use 1Password too!

3) Are there any plans to have feature parity with LastPass as far as this feature is concerned?

I'm not sure that "feature parity" makes sense in that context. Though there will always be differences in how things can work on various platforms, we're working on feature parity across our own products. So we're most concerned with improving convenience for 1Password users without sacrificing security, and the new tools Google is offering give us an officially supported and safe way to do that.

• arti
    arti
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks for your response.
    I don't get an error message - it just sometimes works and sometimes does not.
    Sometimes it fills only the username, other times it fills just the password.

From what I've understood, you're saying that LP is filling usernames & passwords into Android Chrome in a non-secure way. Is my understanding of this correct?

Thank you
    Arti

• Hey @arti. With regards to filling in Chrome, indeed the keyboard is the best option for now, as Google's Autofill framework isn't currently supported in browsers. That said, do you notice that you're having trouble on any particular websites? Or is it a few sites in particular?

Regarding other methods of filling, I don't want to speak for other password managers, but I recommend taking a look at my comment in another post, where I explain the decision to use the keyboard for filling. As I mention there, we don't face the same limitations now and are reworking filling on Android. Let's see if we can get it working for you in the meantime, though. :)

This discussion has been closed.