To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Cannot access my 1Password account or iCloud password /recovery keys for 2FA--now locked out of both

ashleyashley
ashleyashley
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Memberships

I purchased the standalone license for 1Password in December 2016 and used it to store my passwords, including my iCloud password and my iCloud recovery keys that I use for two factor authentication to access my iCloud account.

My Macbook was wiped clean and I did not have a chance to get the data that was stored in that 1Password vault. Is there any way you can help me recover the vault I purchased from the Apple App store, that is connected to a specific email address? I am totally blocked at work and really need to get out of this bind.

I already tried contacting Apple and they told me they couldn't help because I am not able to provide the recovery key.

Thanks!

Ashley Jelks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

ref: BDR-69676-169

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @ashleyashley :)
    It always sucks when you have computers wiped and lose data. In order to try and help you recover anything, if possible, I need some extra information. Did you sync your 1Password information at all, such as with Dropbox for example, or do you have any backups of your computer from before it was wiped hanging around anywhere?

Cheers :)
    Corey

• ashleyashley
    ashleyashley
    Community Member

Hi @Corey_C,

I thought the 1Password data was already synced in the cloud, and that I would be able to access it if I logged back into my account, so no, it was not synced elsewhere. I have access to backups of specific folders from my computer, not the entire machine, unfortunately. I think the data from 1Password was also synced to iCloud, but again the problem here is that I do not have the iCloud password, as it is stored in my 1Password.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

No, @ashleyashley, if you bought a standalone license, the $65 one time purchase one, and not a 1Password Membership subscription, 1Password would only sync to a cloud service if you set it up manually to do so. Do you remember setting it up to sync with anything in the 1Password preferences pane at any point?

• ashleyashley
    ashleyashley
    Community Member

No, i do not think so.

• ashleyashley
    ashleyashley
    Community Member

My company later got a 1Password for teams account, but I do not think it was ever synced to my own standalone.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

So, if I'm correct, this vault was separate from your teams account, was not part of it's own individual subscription account, was never set up to sync with anything and you don't have backups. Are all of those things correct?

If they are, I'm not sure of a way to recover anything. I don't want to say it's impossible because an AgileBits team member could very well know more than I do, but I don't know anything.

Sorry :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017

@ashleyashley: If you have your data in the 1Password Teams account, an admin on the team could help you recover your account. But if you were using only the standalone 1Password app with a local vault and did not sync your data or back it up, it will not have existed anywhere but on your device. And in that case if it has been wiped completely, the only copy of your data will be gone with it. I'm sorry I don't have better news to you, but if you do find that you have a copy of your data somewhere after all please let us know so we can walk you through restoring it.

ref: BDR-69676-169

This discussion has been closed.