New convert (LastPass) to 1Pass, wondering about a few little things

Options
ledoktre
ledoktre
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

Hey, before I go into anything - awesome product. Kudos :)

A couple of little questions that I'm hopeful on.

1. Besides the keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Pass-Mini, is there any way to pre-fill forms in when you to to the website? I have a lot of bookmarks, and its a work flow I am used to. Go to the bookmark entry, it has the user/pass/etc pre-filled in, I just click Login or whatever. I do see that the keyboard shortcut auto fills / logs in if there is only one item matching.
  2. Bookmarks. I saw some questions posted on other threads mentioning about using 1Pass for bookmarks. I am on board with their wish (+1 me please). I used to use XMarks but got away from it for various reasons. Ive been using Firefox Sync, but that only syncs FF. If we could have bookmarks in 1Pass, it would be the cats meow!! All it would take really is a new category I'd think. Maybe a keyboard shortcut to save a current site (if there isn't one - havent found one yet myself).
  3. Password generation on iOS. I haven't figured out how to do it yet from the iOS app without creating a new entry and generating a new password. You should be able to generate a password right from the toolbar menu at the bottom I'd think. I use it to generate new passwords for client servers/workstations every month, and I copy / paste it into their secure note. A bit cumbersome for me right now (LastPass did this very well, one of the few things I did really like about it).
  4. Tags. I am used to folders from LastPass. I had everything organized and I used them a lot. 1Pass does not do folders, that's fine. I use tags instead to try and organize. I bring up 1Pass-Mini, down to tags, and navigate from there. Can we do nested tags? I.E. sub-tags (sort of like, sub-folders would be if navigating in a menu)? Right now I enter in Personal/Utilities for example, and it works, but would be much easier to navigate if it had Personal, then Utilities popped open when you hovered on it. I would think that would be pretty easy to do, maybe you already can and I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks,

1Password Version: 6.8.2 (682003)
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Pass Sync
Referrer: forum-search:New convert to 1Pass, wondering about 3 little things

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Besides the keyboard shortcut to bring up 1Pass-Mini, is there any way to pre-fill forms in when you to to the website?

@ledoktre: Definitely not, and that's very intentional. 1Password only takes action to fill sensitive information when you tell it to, rather than squirting it in there any time a page is loaded. It's not a behaviour we plan on changing, both for security and to allow users to have control over where and when their data is entered. However...

I have a lot of bookmarks, and its a work flow I am used to. Go to the bookmark entry, it has the user/pass/etc pre-filled in, I just click Login or whatever. I do see that the keyboard shortcut auto fills / logs in if there is only one item matching.

It doesn't come up much because frankly a lot of people use 1Password as a sort of de facto bookmark menu. When you select a login from 1Password, it will attempt to fill it once the page loads. It's just that it will not do this when the page is opened by something else, since we have no way of knowing if that was you, or a malicious app opening a URL to see if it can capture your login credentials as you use them.

Bookmarks. I saw some questions posted on other threads mentioning about using 1Pass for bookmarks. I am on board with their wish (+1 me please). I used to use XMarks but got away from it for various reasons. Ive been using Firefox Sync, but that only syncs FF. If we could have bookmarks in 1Pass, it would be the cats meow!! All it would take really is a new category I'd think. Maybe a keyboard shortcut to save a current site (if there isn't one - havent found one yet myself).

I have a feeling I know what discussion you're referring to. ;) While we don't have any plans to build 1Password as a bookmarking app, you can already use it for this purpose today in many ways. But we don't want to dilute it, or divert resources away from 1Password's core functionality.

Password generation on iOS. I haven't figured out how to do it yet from the iOS app without creating a new entry and generating a new password. You should be able to generate a password right from the toolbar menu at the bottom I'd think. I use it to generate new passwords for client servers/workstations every month, and I copy / paste it into their secure note. A bit cumbersome for me right now (LastPass did this very well, one of the few things I did really like about it).

I can't say that this has come up before, but it's certainly something we can consider. Again, the concern is that the vast majority of users aren't sitting around generating passwords just to generate passwords, but rather doing so as part of the process of creating a new login (or editing an existing one). But you're right that it is a bit hidden right now if you're trying to do this for another purpose. Thanks for the feedback!

Tags. I am used to folders from LastPass. I had everything organized and I used them a lot. 1Pass does not do folders, that's fine. I use tags instead to try and organize. I bring up 1Pass-Mini, down to tags, and navigate from there. Can we do nested tags? I.E. sub-tags (sort of like, sub-folders would be if navigating in a menu)? Right now I enter in Personal/Utilities for example, and it works, but would be much easier to navigate if it had Personal, then Utilities popped open when you hovered on it. I would think that would be pretty easy to do, maybe you already can and I just don't know how to do it.

There's nothing like "sub-tags" because then they'd just be hierarchical, and effectively folders, suffering the same limitations. You can always use multiple tags and search to find what you need though. We won't be going back to folders, but we'd like to add more advanced options and UI for tags to make them easier to manage in the future. Thank you for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.