To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Syncing iOS with Windows account

spastik0827
spastik0827
Community Member

Hello, I have bought a license for 1Password on Windows and I also bought the 1Password app on iOS. I would like to sync both together so that when I add information on either one, the information shows up on the other and vice versa. It seems to be asking for a secret key, which I can't find for the life of me (your website suggests logging in on Windows and then clicking 'Settings -> Accounts' and copying the key from there, but I have the latest version of 1Password and it doesn't even have a 'Settings' icon, it's 'Preferences' and even that doesn't have a 'Accounts' tab...!!!)

So, what should I do?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @spastik0827 :)
    Sorry for the confusion. Secret Keys are only used for people who have 1Password.com memberships. People who use standalone licenses like you do not have them or need them. If you want to sync between a Windows PC and an iOS device without a 1Password.com membership, your main option is to use Dropbox. Instructions on how to set up Dropbox syncing can be found here.

Hope that helps. If you run into any specific issues when setting up syncing, let me know. :)
    Corey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spastik0827: Indeed, while you won't have an account or Secret Key in that case, you can choose "Used 1Password before?" and either sync your data from another device or create a new vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• spastik0827
    spastik0827
    Community Member

So in Windows, where is the option to save and sync through Dropbox? And then where do I set it up in iOS after this so that everything appears the same on both devices?

• @spastik0827

Instructions can be found here:

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

Ben

• spastik0827
    spastik0827
    Community Member

@Ben I left my house this morning before you replied. I backed up my 1password information to a .agilekeychain_zip file which I moved to my Dropbox. Is there a way I can use this file to sync with my iOS device?

• spastik0827
    spastik0827
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

BUMP, anyone welcome to help

• Is there a way I can use this file to sync with my iOS device?

No. 1Password for iOS will not recognize an .agilekeychain_zip file. You'd need to follow the instructions I posted above in order to sync with Dropbox.

Ben

• spastik0827
    spastik0827
    Community Member

Ok, thanks. I'll wait til I get home then...

I'm probably not the first one to say this but I find it quite confusing how there are "licenses" and "memberships" and "apps" etc. It should be all put together : you pay for 1Password product, you get it across the board!

My 0.02

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spastik0827: Definitely not the first. Certainly, it's something we considered. But at the same time not everyone wants the same setup, and I know that many people would not like it if we discontinued licenses in favour of 1Password.com memberships. It would simplify things, but ultimately we don't want to take anything away from those that have purchased licenses because they prefer them. And it isn't possible for us to sell a license that will work across all platforms, as there are different app stores involved. Just something to consider.

This discussion has been closed.