Fingerprint & Sync Questions

55208wcgk
55208wcgk
Community Member

Hello,

I have 1PW v6.6.1 (with Pro Features enabled) running on a Samsung Note 8 running Android 7.1.1 & have two questions:

1. When I go to "Settings\Security\Fingeprint Unlock" I get prompted to "Enable Fingerprint" but am unable to do so. I don't get any error message but neither does it accept my fingerprint. I tried using the same finger as I use to unlock my phone, as well as others, but to no avail. Any thoughts?

2. I set up 1PW to use a vault locally stored on the phone - the same one I have running on a 1PW v4.6.2.626 installation on a Windows 10 PC. I have "Folder Sync" enabled under "Settings\Sync". How do I set up a sync between my local copy & the one on my PC?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.1.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @55208wcgk. :)

Fingerprint Unlock uses the system fingerprint settings, so make sure you're using one of your enrolled fingerprints to when enabling Fingerprint Unlock in 1Password. If you do that, what trouble are you having? Does the the Fingerprint Unlock option appear when you toggle it on? Is it rejecting your fingerprint itself?

As to your sync issue, folder sync and local storage sync are local solutions only--this sync method doesn't allow you to sync between devices. In order to sync between your PC and Android, I recommend enabling Dropbox, WLAN server sync, or switching to a 1Password account. To do so, you'll need to start over on Android. Do you have data on Android that hasn't yet synced to the PC? If so, we'll need to transfer it first.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member

Hey, Peri

Correct. After enabling the fingerprint option in Settings\Security, I do get a fingerprint option pop up but can't seem to activate it. My fingerprint does unlock my Note 8 so I know that component works. I assume I'm supposed to use the finger I have a system profile for by pressing the 1PW logo but nothing happens when I do. Not seeing any other Settings option to make this happen.

By starting over, do you mean uninstalling 1PW on my Note? I can do that - I still have the vault on my Windows 10 PC. Some questions if this is what I need to do:

Do I uninstall app AND delete the local vault on the phone?

Assuming I delete the phone vault, how do I sync to the vault on my PC? The reason I copied the vault from the PC to the phone in the first place was that the phone was not seeing the PC vault using WLAN server sync.

Thanks for the help, Peri. I really like the app but it's a deal killer if I can't sync to my PC - & I do want to sync to it & not the cloud.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

By starting over, do you mean uninstalling 1PW on my Note? I can do that - I still have the vault on my Windows 10 PC.

@55208wcgk: Yep! Just making sure you have your data elsewhere.

Some questions if this is what I need to do:
    Do I uninstall app AND delete the local vault on the phone?

That shouldn't be necessary, but it would simplify syncing the data from your PC over from scratch.

Assuming I delete the phone vault, how do I sync to the vault on my PC? The reason I copied the vault from the PC to the phone in the first place was that the phone was not seeing the PC vault using WLAN server sync.

That's a tough one, because it depends totally on your network environment. But we have a great guide that will walk you through configuring sync and checking your network setup to make sure it's configured properly as well:

If you’re having trouble using the WLAN server

Thanks for the help, Peri. I really like the app but it's a deal killer if I can't sync to my PC - & I do want to sync to it & not the cloud.

Is there a particular reason? Technically speaking, it doesn't matter, as your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted; 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data, in case that helps. Other sync methods are less network-dependent: they just need an internet connection.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty, I'll check out the link.

Regarding versions, with v4 standalone I have multiple nested folders set up. Don't believe I can do that in v6 (1password.com). I know you have tags, but not sure how to cross-walk that to nested folders. For ex., I have a structure that features: "computer\software\Android\utilities". How would I would recreate that using tags?

Any thoughts on my fingerprint issue?
    After enabling the fingerprint option in Settings\Security, I get a fingerprint option pop up but can't seem to activate it. My fingerprint does unlock my Note 8 so I know that component works. I assume I'm supposed to use the finger I have a system profile for by pressing the 1PW logo but nothing happens when I do. Not seeing any other Settings option to make this happen.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, Brenty, I'll check out the link.
    Regarding versions, with v4 standalone I have multiple nested folders set up. Don't believe I can do that in v6 (1password.com). I know you have tags, but not sure how to cross-walk that to nested folders. For ex., I have a structure that features: "computer\software\Android\utilities". How would I would recreate that using tags?

@55208wcgk: It's really up to you. I prefer more granular tags like this:

computer software Android utilities

but you may prefer something like this:

computer\software\Android\utilities

or something in between. There's a lot of room for improvement with tags, but we've chosen them because they're not a mess to deal with when syncing/sharing data, and they're much more flexible as well. We've got some cool ideas for making them even more useful and easy to manage in the future.

Any thoughts on my fingerprint issue? After enabling the fingerprint option in Settings\Security, I get a fingerprint option pop up but can't seem to activate it. My fingerprint does unlock my Note 8 so I know that component works. I assume I'm supposed to use the finger I have a system profile for by pressing the 1PW logo but nothing happens when I do. Not seeing any other Settings option to make this happen. Thanks again!

I think Peri's recommendation is still the best, since you'll ned to do that anyway to setup sync. Unfortunately we won't have no way of knowing why 1Password isn't being told that Nexus Imprint is available. Since it's working on your device, it's likely that 1Password is simply damaged and not getting the message. But it's also possible that something is messed up at the system level. Disabling and re-enabling fingerprint support might help, but it seems like it is easier to start with 1Password to rule that out.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member

I can now sync between my Note 8 & my PC via WLAN after deleting & reinstalling 1PW on my Note 8.

That said I submitted another request today after seeing that not all of the usernames & passwords on my PC copy are synching into my Note 8. The records themselves are, but not these two fields in some of them. More detail in that posting - again posted earlier today under Subject Line: Android to PC Sync Issue.

Thanks for the help

• Thelauffer
    Thelauffer
    Community Member

@55208wcgk Hey there! Regarding the fingerprint issue:

I know Samsung devices have some troubles with fingerprint unlock on some apps because I believe Samsung uses it's own framework for fingerprint scanning. Many apps only support Android's official fingerprint scan, and although I'm not sure about 1Password, this might be the reason why.

It would be interesting to have a dev chime in on this one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Thelauffer: I think that this discussion has pretty much resolved of its own volition, but to address your musings, as I mentioned above, 1Password uses Google's Nexus Imprint API rather than anything proprietary to device vendors. Earlier Samsung devices used their own implementation for fingerprint unlock, as there was not yet support in the OS, but most devices within the last two years or so do support Nexus Imprint from what I've seen. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.