What's with the key.

Options
MisterQ
MisterQ
Community Member

Sometimes when I am using an iterm/ssh terminal session, and it expects a password, I see a character graphic that looks like a key, when there is a prompt for a password - I have always assumed this was something to do with 1password - but haven't worked how. Am I missing something?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MisterQ: Ah, good point. I think we may have actually used something similar long, long, looooong ago, but to avoid this kind of confusion (and, frankly, make it prettier) we've been using our own 1Password "keyhole" logo for years now, which is featured prominently on the lock screen of 1Password and used for the extension icon (in greyscale):

While I can't say for certain without seeing for myself, I think what you're referring to is Apple's Keychain icon, shown in situations where you need to choose a password, so you can click it to generate one. I'm not a big fan of their password generator or the fact that you (usually? always?) cannot copy and paste to and from the password field in these situations — which makes it a huge pain to even have 1Password store a password for something like an encrypted disk. Bummer. Anyway, nothing to do with 1Password directly, but similar at least in concept...if significantly less user-friendly.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.