To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Computer died, is there another way to get access to vault

mccurdymj
mccurdymj
Community Member

My computer just crashed on me and we are waiting to determine if the hard drive can be recovered and transferred. In the event the hard drive has gone to a better place, is there a way to recover my data (had a license previously so no access to a secret key).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @mccurdymj :)
    Oh no! That's no good. As for recovery, that depends. Did you have your data synced anywhere? Or does it exist on any of your other devices?

• mccurdymj
    mccurdymj
    Community Member

The only device it exists on right now is the one that does not turn on. It was transferred to the new computer and it died before it could be uploaded to Dropbox. Am I SOL?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Do you have any backups of that drive anywhere? If you do, you should be able to pull your data off those backups.

If you don't have any backups and didn't sync the data anywhere then, unfortunately, yes, you are out of luck. The data only existed on that one drive and if it is gone, your data is gone with it.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer. :(

• mccurdymj
    mccurdymj
    Community Member

@Corey_C Not a problem, we have a IT guy trying to get the data from my hard drive just wanted to prepare myself in the event he wasn't successful. You were super helpful!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Glad to have been of service. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. In case it helps, if you had Time Machine (or other) backup your 1Password data you can find it in one of these locations, based on which version you were using at the time:

Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

AgileBits Store version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

1Password for Windows:

Documents\1Password\Backups\

What you're looking for is something like 1Password2 2017-08-26 021334 (45 items).agilekeychain_zip, which is a backup archive 1Password saves. They're dated, and the newest one should be best option. You can select this during the 1Password setup process ("Used 1Password before?" > More options > Restore from backup in 1Password for Mac, or from the first run screen in the Windows app). Cheers! :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Perhaps worth emphasising that (for historical technical reasons) the relevant folder is named 1Password 4 even if one is using 1Password 6.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for remembering, @danco! And good luck, @mccurdymj -- let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.