iOS 11 Files app support

kusshut
kusshut
Community Member

1Password iOS need the iOS 11 Files app support. Then has you access to the backup file.

In Android version no issue. Please make this,

Many apps supports this iOS file management.

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for the suggestion, @kusshut! Perhaps in a future update. :)

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Might also be nice for importing/exporting Documents.

• Indeed! We would like to do more along those lines.

Ben

• Alexandrej
    Alexandrej
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

+1 for iOS 11 Files support.
    This way, I can redirect the iOS 1Password app to open the vault file located in the Files app folder on my iOS. No more WLAN syncing via Mac.
    Please advise if you are working on this and when this can be made available to users.
    Thanks.
    Alexandre

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for chiming in, @Alexandrej -- as Ben says, this is something we'd definitely like to look into more, to see what may be feasible.

• It is unlikely that the Files app would provide for syncing of 1Password data. If you'd like to sync through Apple's ecosystem then you may want to consider using iCloud:

How to sync 1Password with iCloud - 1Password Support

We would generally recommend using the 1Password membership service to sync though:

Sync your 1Password data

In addition to providing sync membership provides a whole lot more:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

Thanks.

Ben

• Alexandrej
    Alexandrej
    Community Member

Hello Ben,

sorry, I have my own cloud solution as I do not trust iCloud or any hosted cloud... never sure who's looking in there and my data is personal and needs to remain at such, especially when you have financial and social security info involved, etc.

I have a Synology NAS and right now I am synching through my Mac mini to my iOS device but I also need to synch to my wife's iOS device and this is where the problem lies.
    Apparently, I have to created her own account on the mini and have 1Password open on the Mac mini so it can synch with her iOS device. Since I can not have 2 accounts open and running air the same time, this will not work.
    Correct me if I am wrong.

I am not sure why you are not open to investigating the use of the Files App now that Apple finally gives you access to it ? From what I understand you are doing this already on the Android devices. Reason why is probably because apple never gave access their local file system on the iOS devices in the first place. Now they have.

I understand you are trying to push your family and synch 1password accounts, but again that relies on external cloud systems and I can not put my family's sensitive personal data in a cloud, somewhere where I have no control. I am sure you can understand this.
    I love this 1password app and would love to continue using it and not being forced to move to competition that has that missing feature.

Thank you
    Alexandre

• sorry, I have my own cloud solution as I do not trust iCloud or any hosted cloud... never sure who's looking in there and my data is personal and needs to remain at such, especially when you have financial and social security info involved, etc.

Fortunately with 1Password your data is encrypted on your device using your Master Password, which only you know (unless you share it), before the encrypted data is sent to any “cloud” (be it 1Password.com, iCloud, or Dropbox).

Additionally with 1Password membership vaults (stored on 1Password.com) the data is also encrypted using a Secret Key, which again, is known only by you (never by AgileBits). This key protects you in the unlikely event that

1. All data is stolen from our servers
    2. You used an insecure Master Password

You can read more about this here:

AgileBits Blog | 1Password is #LayerUp-ed with modern authentication

I am not sure why you are not open to investigating the use of the Files App now that Apple finally gives you access to it ?

We are. It just isn’t very likely going to be a sync solution. It wasn’t designed to sync databases. That is what Apple offers CloudKit for. What we’re not interested in doing is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is likely that we will have interaction with the Files app in the future, but I doubt that will be in the form of sync.

I understand you are trying to push your family and synch 1password accounts, but again that relies on external cloud systems and I can not put my family's sensitive personal data in a cloud, somewhere where I have no control. I am sure you can understand this.

I can’t, actually. I wouldn’t recommend it if I didn’t use it myself. All of my information, as well as my family’s information, is stored on 1Password.com. Well, encrypted forms of it, anyway.

I love this 1password app and would love to continue using it and not being forced to move to competition that has that missing feature.

We do not currently have plans for further development in the area of “local” sync, especially with regards to families that need to share data. The best way to share data is with 1Password Families (or 1Password Teams).

I’m sorry that isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I’d be happy to further discuss whatever questions you may have about how 1Password data is secured.

Ben

• naomik
    naomik
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Ben,

Long-time 1password user here; licenses on macOS, iOS, windows, android; warning: I'm frustrated with AgileBits position on this thread

We do not currently have plans for further development in the area of “local” sync, especially with regards to families that need to share data. The best way to share data is with 1Password Families (or 1Password Teams).

Well of course that's the "best" way; you've put the most money into it and it makes you the most money. But really, the best way is the most automatic and invisible while still maintaining a low-to-zero cost and high degree of security; I agree 1password.com is automatic and invisible, but its access is restricted by an unreasonable pay wall. Before 1password.com, syncing solutions were important for the operation of the product and were under active development – of course it's understandable that users will need access on multiple devices – syncing must be a feature. But since the onset of 1Password.com, as a security company, you've done something ignorant by demanding your customers trust you with their data – or else they're stuck using dreadful syncing methods. I say it's an unreasonable pay wall because your customers have watched development on other syncing methods grind to a halt, and your statement here supports that perception.

The actual rule in security is Trust No One. I don't care that Agile Bits says they encrypt my data and follow "best" security practices – it's not open source software (nor is their server software), so no one can audit and verify that claim (unlike e.g. ProtonMail). I'm not going to break the Trust No One rule just because it's more profitable for Agile Bits to be working on features that generate monthly revenue. What I can trust is that I handle my password and password data safely and my password client never uploads information to the internet – simple. I have real peace of mind; not the kind you pay for; and not the kind that can't be verified. So can we please get back to the original mission goal? I guarantee AgileBits' original mission was not cloud data storage – it was a beautiful and elegant password manager for the people.

Wifi sync has always been abysmal; it "works" differently on different OSes; it communicates the while-syncing status poorly; it takes over 5 minutes to sync a vault with 600 items, the whole time it's just saying "Syncing..."; sometimes it just stops without any notification and the keychain is not updated. All I can imagine is that the app is negotiating the items one-by-one and deciding which ones need updating. Why not just wipe all the data off my mobile device and replace it with the data from the desktop host – the keychain file is tiny; why should this take 5 minutes? We're talking kilobytes worth of data on wireless AC devices.

We are. It just isn’t very likely going to be a sync solution. It wasn’t designed to sync databases. That is what Apple offers CloudKit for. What we’re not interested in doing is trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It is likely that we will have interaction with the Files app in the future, but I doubt that will be in the form of sync.

Don't make excuses. You don't need to over-engineer this. "Database" is just a fancy word that mostly means "program-readable file" – it's just a file. 1password has historically worked with my keychain file – technically .agileKeychain which is a directory; a collection of files – and there is no reason I shouldn't be able to drop my agileKeychain file directly into iOS files and select it as my keychain in the 1password mobile app settings. In fact, this is not far off from how I used to do it when I'd drag my keychain file into iTunes in order to get the data on my phone; I don't even remember how long ago that simple, straightforward option stopped working. Maybe when AgileBits engineers over-engineered my keychain file and hid it so I can't even find it on my OS filesystem anymore. Once you see how simple this request is, you'll see that it's asking nothing to have a sync button that copies my keychain to my iOS files. Anything over this dreadful wifi sync.

You're probably thinking, "oh, but we don't want to sync items that haven't changed, which is why we use a database, so we can streamline the syncing process" – stop, you're over-engineering it. At my vaults' current sizes, my 1password automatic backups are 1.3 MB individual ZIP files. This can be transferred and decompressed in less than 5 seconds. I could realistically afford to sync all of this data for every change that happens in my vault. C'mon, stop trying to jerk us around.

I’m sorry that isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I’d be happy to further discuss whatever questions you may have about how 1Password data is secured.

Again, statements like this push the perception that Agile Bits just does not care about customers who actually understand security. "... its OK to give others e a copy of your most protected data; just make sure you trust them and use a good key," said no one in infosec ever.

Underneath all of this frustration, I hope you see I deeply care about this product. AgileBits does save me from the insane pressures that are exerted upon us in the digital world. It's an indispensable companion, and I'd be doing myself a disservice if I didn't shout out when I felt AgileBits was stepping off-path. 1password.com is a fine endeavor, but it's not the best (or only) solution for everyone –

I humbly request, please do not stop development on offline syncing methods.

Naomi Kyoto
    http://naomi.makes.software
    https://stackoverflow.com/users/633183/naomik

• naomik
    naomik
    Community Member

Ben, my reply seems to have been moderated, or flagged, ... or something? Can you check into this? If it can be recovered, this message can safely be deleted, and my original message displayed. Thanks ^_^

• @naomik,

Our log shows your post as having been removed by you (a misclick perhaps?). In any event, I was able to restore it. :)

Thanks for the feedback. While our focus is certainly on 1Password memberships we do plan to continue to offer standalone licensing and local vaults. What we do not have plans for is additional sync options, and it is unlikely that will change in the forseeable future. While we do feel that 1Password membership is the best solution for most users we understand that we’ve built our name on our standalone offerings, and there is still value in them to some folks.

Ben

• naomik
    naomik
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Ben

1password.com is arguably "best" for teams that need to share passwords; these are users that may never have devices on the same network where a remote sharing of data (across the internet!) is the only possibility – however, this is not the need of most users. 1password.com is only a necessity for an edge-case user, at best; even then, countless other options for secure data sharing exist

What we do not have plans for is additional sync options, and it is unlikely that will change in the forseeable future.

"Let's build a super-secure, state-of-the-art cloud password storage platform, do all the critical bug fixes, update all of our 1password clients to support this new password storage and syncing method, do all the critical bug fixes, have users create 1password.com accounts, create membership levels with different features and limits, a whole new billing department, a whole new 1password.com account support staff, regular security audits, do all the critical bug fixes, insurance, ...

... Let's do all of that before we figure out syncing 1 MB of data over a local network between devices that can easily communicate with one another."

For most users, that simple local network can be secured (and verified!) very easily – at least certainly at lot easier than one could secure (or verify) the behemoth infrastructure of servers and humans powering 1password.com – we can agree on that, right?

You've thanked me for my feedback, but I've only ended up more frustrated that I seem to have gone unheard. You have not offered a substantial response to any of the specific concerns I've raised.

Naomi

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2017

1password.com is arguably "best" for teams that need to share passwords; these are users that may never have devices on the same network where a remote sharing of data (across the internet!) is the only possibility

I agree, that is probably who it is absolutely ideal for. And in part that is what it was born from. As a company we’re a team of primarily remote users. We do have a small office in Toronto where some team members spend some or all of their time. Outside of that though the vast majority of us only get together once per year or so. In that regard we’ve definitely built 1Password to solve a problem that we ourselves faced.

On the other hand there was a huge demand from customers of all varieties to make both syncing and sharing (which are connected but separate concepts) easier and more reliable. We hammered away on Dropbox, then MobileMe, then CloudKit, and then Dropbox some more trying to provide realistic solutions. And for many folks they still are. But reality is that using any sort of third party service is always going to cause customers difficulties that we ourselves cannot resolve. And ultimately we decided that we just weren’t happy with that. Building our own service was the only way to have the flexibility of offerings and insight into problems that we have now.

So what about WLAN sync, you ask? More on that below.

For most users, that simple local network can be secured (and verified!) very easily – at least certainly at lot easier than one could secure (or verify) the behemoth infrastructure of servers and humans powering 1password.com – we can agree on that, right?

No, I do not agree with that. At all.

“Most users” I know are using cable/DSL gateway + router + wireless access point combination devices provided by their ISP. Sometimes they’re using it with the default SSID and passwords still in place. And then you get those who need to build out their network. Because they aren’t network engineers and don’t know any better they go out and buy a second wireless router (instead of an access point). Or they buy an “extender.” And these things cause all sorts of difficulties with syncing locally. Double NAT... devices on the “same network” separated by layers of NAT... devices separated by firewalls... Bonjour not working across subnets (or just not working period)... There are all kinds of crazy things people do to their home networks that cause all kinds of crazy issues that we just cannot tackle programmatically. Oh, and that gateway + router + WAP device they’re using? Yeah, they’ve never updated the firmware on it either.

They aren’t verifying the security of their home network any more than they are reading our security white paper. They are trusting that what has been provided for them is secure, and that is why we’ve taken the steps we have to build the service that we have. It is convenient, and it is secure. The former has a lot of weight when dealing with “most users” (not that the latter isn’t of critical importance as well).

WLAN sync is just not convenient for a whole crowd of people. It has always been a very small (yet vocal) minority of users who even consider using it. And that’s okay. We’re happy to continue offering it for those who are network engineers or are otherwise comfortable troubleshooting the types of issues described above.

You've thanked me for my feedback, but I've only ended up more frustrated that I seem to have gone unheard. You have not offered a substantial response to any of the specific concerns I've raised.

Please do not mistake disagreeing with your position with not hearing what you have to say. I’ve read and comprehended everything you’ve written. We just have very different perspectives of what the average user wants or needs from a password management solution.

We still offer all the same options we have for the past few years. Dropbox, iCloud (CloudKit), WLAN sync, local vaults, standalone licenses, etc. If folks are happy with those, that is great. But we do not recommend those options to new customers. And if folks are not happy, we feel most will be best served by trying our membership services, not by further bandaiding the other sync services, or by adding yet another one.

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, but if your argument is that all cloud services (and 1Password.com in particular) are inherently more insecure than most people’s home networks, and that you cannot be convinced otherwise... We’ve come to an impasse.

Does this “most users” line of thinking mean we don’t care what those who aren’t “most users” think or have to say? Not at all. That is why we have open dialogue here on the forums. That is why we’ve published our in-depth security white paper:

http://1pw.ca/whitepaper

As someone who is more familiar with security processes, I’d be happy to discuss any comments you have regarding the content of the white paper (not that I wouldn’t be happy to discuss with someone who isn’t as well). But at that point we’re getting pretty far from the topic at hand here, and should probably start a new thread (in the Lounge).

Ben

• tmchow
    tmchow
    Community Member

When you try to add a document to 1password on iOS 11, it brings up the camera roll. No way to use the files app so you can attach say a PDF which is a supported file type in both files app and 1password. This forces me to go to my desktop PC to do something simple that I want to otherwise do on my iOS device.

• That is correct, @tmchow. At the moment on iOS we only support creating Documents from the Camera Roll. We’re looking into the possibility of expanding that.

Ben

• naomik
    naomik
    Community Member

Ben I sincerely appreciate the thorough response. I agree the consumer wifi market is a disaster, and perhaps we can reach a greater agreement too: password management is just one slice of the security spectrum and it's not 1password's responsibility (necessarily) to inform users about the remaining colours; forgive the mediocre analogy.

With that in mind, what 1password can do is – in a seemingly magical way – handle the entire disaster for you, for $x/mo. I actually get it now, and I promise I'm not being snotty about that.

I guess I really should be more upset with wifi ...

Or zen master would say not to be upset at all; something so broken means something better can emerge

Guess I'll be migrating to 1password.com before long then ;)

• I think the recent news around WiFi combined with the resistance to updating devices that some folks have only further highlights that.

With that in mind, what 1password can do is – in a seemingly magical way – handle the entire disaster for you, for $x/mo. I actually get it now, and I promise I'm not being snotty about that.

Indeed. That is exactly what we’ve set out to do.

Or zen master would say not to be upset at all; something so broken means something better can emerge

:+1:

Guess I'll be migrating to 1password.com before long then ;)

I honestly think if you give it a try you’ll like it. But if not that’s okay too, you can always go back to what you’ve got now. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017

That is correct; it does not. We do not have any definite plans at this time in that regard, but it is certainly something we’re considering.

Ben

• aukaw3
    aukaw3
    Community Member

I want it too. is finally being promoted by many customers? the next big iOS version is coming soon.

then iOS 11 Files app it is more than 1 year old. please move your asses now ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@aukaw3: Please refrain from using inappropriate language of any kind. We need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit. Be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

For the record, the iOS Files app was introduced with iOS 11 less than 4 months ago, so I think that iOS 12 is probably another 8 months off yet. ;)

1Password isn't really file-based, but if we can put it to good use for 1Password, perhaps we'll add support for it down the line. In the mean time, we've already added some great new stuff in 1Password 7 that takes advantage of iOS 11, like drag and drop on iPad. More to come in the future. Cheers! :)

• alphaaeeat
    alphaaeeat
    Community Member
    edited January 2018

1password iOS has in the settings, a backup function. If make this, then in iTunes file sharing is this file.

But I dont need iTunes file sharing. I need in the app same access to this backup and I can save to iOS 11 Files app.

Why you not add so a funtion? Why the user cannot use iOS Open in function for the backup file?

• @alphaaeeat

We don’t have any plans to change the way backups for standalone vaults work at this time, however that may be something that we can consider for the future. :)

Thanks.

Ben

• alphaaeeat
    alphaaeeat
    Community Member

Can you iOS Open in function? Many third party apps supports this e.g video player or file explorer app simce years!!

But 1Password iOS not possible

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alphaaeeat: I'm not sure what you're asking for. Can you elaborate?

This discussion has been closed.