There is no Sync icon in the Preferences menu of my 1Password app for MacOS Sierra

Options
Matthew_J
Matthew_J
Community Member

Hi!

There is no Sync icon in the Preferences menu of my 1Password app for MacOS Sierra and therefore I cannot synchronise anything over iCould. Moreover, my Apple Watch seems to only read the content of my Primary vault and the application on my laptop can only see my Personal vault.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:icloud sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Matthew_J: I think you've hit the nail on the head. 1Password for Apple Watch cannot yet read data from non-Primary vaults. And if you've setup the app with a 1Password Account, you will not have a Primary vault at all, but only the Personal vault and others associated with your account. And similarly, iCloud is not used for 1Password Accounts; rather, data is sync'd automatically through 1Password.com. Can you tell me a bit about what you're trying to here, so that I can help you get things sorted out? Thanks in advance!

• Matthew_J
    Matthew_J
    Community Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

@brenty
    I would like to have one singe vault that automatically synchronises between my MacBook & iPhone & Apple Watch seamlessly. I do understand that for Apple Watch every item must be tagged as-such individually; but I do not want to have a second vault and copy every tagged item into it in order to make them viewable on the watch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Matthew_J: Ah, same here! Fortunately, we've got an app for that. ;)

The new Apple Watch app is part of the current 1Password for iOS beta, and unless there's a last minute showstopper, it should be available to everyone soon. :)

• jipnet
    jipnet
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried to install 1Password for Mac on a new machine. At first I thought I had the app from your store, then noticed that on my other machine it says it is from the App Store. Downloaded from there and I see no sync option (using iCloud previously). sure could use some advice. I don't use the 1Password vault system or the barcode etc. but it shows that I'm signed in with this. tx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016
    Options

@jipnet: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you subscribe to 1Password Families (or Teams), or signed up for an individual subscription plan. That’s the only way you’ll have an Account Key or Sign In URL. Instead, if you choose "Use without an account" you can sync your data from another device or create a new vault. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

ref: TCT-15149-454

• jipnet
    jipnet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Yes that is correct..

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! Be sure to reach out if you need anything else. We're here for you! :)

• dfconn
    dfconn
    Community Member
    Options

No sync icon under Preferences in 1Password Mac OS 10.12.3 - newbie with family plan - whassup?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dfconn,

You aren't seeing a Sync tab in Preferences because you don't need it. Sync settings don't apply to 1Password.com accounts (including 1Password Families) because the data in your account automatically syncs through our own servers. When you sign into your account from the 1Password app, your account data automatically syncs there, so you don't need to configure any settings for that.

Hopefully that answers your question, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• dfconn
    dfconn
    Community Member
    Options

Missing Sync Icon under 1Password/Preferences v. 662(662004) from Apple App Store - Mac OS 10.12.3; shared login with wife under Family Plan and login for Amazon does not work = works fine for me on Mac; nothing seems to be syncing properly here - any thoughts out there?

1Password Version: 662(662004)
    Extension Version: 4.6.3
    OS Version: OS 10.12.3
    Sync Type: icloud or sharing in Family plan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dfconn,

I noticed you started a new thread to ask about this, but since you've already asked (and I've already replied) in this thread, I merged your newer post here too. Please take a look at my answer above, and let us know if you have any questions about that.

You also mentioned a problem with a specific Login item, which sounds unrelated to your question about the sync settings. If you need help with a Login item, please start a new thread and let us know some details about that (what you're trying to do, the steps you're taking, what you expect to happen, what happens instead, etc) and we'll be happy to help. Cheers! :)

• dfconn
    dfconn
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Drew

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

:) :+1:

• hfreeman
    hfreeman
    Community Member
    Options

What is the best way to get access to saved passwords on public computers? From what I read, it would appear that drobox is the way to go. I just opened a personal 1password account with a secret key - 30 day free trial - I want to sync my account information with dropbox so I can have access to stored passwords on public computers. No sync tab or a "move to dropbox" when I open the general tab in 1password. I am using current versions of both 1password and dropbox on an Imac and macbook pro running El Capitan.
    Best,

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @hfreeman :)
    The best way to get access to saved passwords on a public computer (at least in my opinion) would be to use a separate device, like your phone for example, and have 1Password on it and then enter whatever password you would need manually by copying it off the phone. I would not trust any public computer or device I didn't own with my 1Password information.

The reason Dropbox syncing doesn't appear in your preferences tab is because it's not necessary. You have a 1Password.com account, syncing is done automatically to all your devices simply by logging in to your account via 1Password on said device.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hfreeman: Agreed 100%. You really don't have a way of knowing if the owner of another machine has intentionally or accidentally installed software that will simply collect data as you access it. You should assume anything you can see, they can as well, so, if you do absolutely need to use an untrusted device, using your own device as a reference to access login credentials for a single site at least limits the damage that could be done, and what you need to do to mitigate risk: you can simply change the password for that site on your own device afterward to invalidate the login credentials that may have been exposed. You can access all of your 1Password.com account data through the website of course, but doing so on someone else's machine could be catastrophic, since we're talking about all of your data, not just one or two accounts. Just something to consider, since ultimately it's your data and your choice. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• hfreeman
    hfreeman
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That all makes good sense - I do see how the sync is obsolete in this case and all is going pretty well now, but still having a few issues. When I come to a site with multiple pages of ID authentication. For instance - Verizon. The first page asks for a phone number - after I enter it, 1Pass asks to remember it, I click "not now" - but the next page is the password page - but then IPass no longer prompts to remember it. Now I'm logged in but the password is not stored by 1Pass. So, then I created a more secure password using the fill command. But when I log out and try to log back in, 1Pass does not autopulate the password page. I can go into the login info and copy and paste the password, however. So, I thought the URL is not stored correctly for the password page, so I tried to change the URL by editing the login info, thinking this was the problem, but could not see how to do that. I had an additional situation where I entered a password for a credit card site and 1Pass did not prompt to remember it, so I am not sure what to do in those situations. Do I manually tell 1Pass to remember a particular URL? Thank you for your time and help.

• hfreeman
    hfreeman
    Community Member
    Options

Just a follow-up - my thoughts above may come across jumbled, so I just want to state my principal questions: 1) How do I proceed if I am not prompted to remember a password and I am then logged in to the site. This has happened a few times, once for a 1 page authentication site, but is more common when multiple pages are used by the site, which leads to question 2) What is the best approach to working with multiple step/page authentication sites, such as those asking for PINs, account numbers, other numbers (e.g., phone), and then password. The password page may come on the 2nd, 3rd or even 4th step in this process, but the 1Pass prompt to remember only happens on the first page, once I hit "not now", the prompt stops for all steps in the process. Hopefully this is a little clearer. Thanks,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hreeman -- there are as many different login forms out there on the web as there are grains of sand on a beach. We try very hard to make 1Password able to fill all of them, but there are a tiny handful that continue to give 1Password trouble, either because they're using something like Silverlight or because - as in the case you've described - split their logins up over multiple pages. Fortunately, we do have a guide to creating such logins which may help you. Sometimes manually saving a login can also be of help on unusual login pages, as in the credit card site you mentioned. In general, 1Password should work as expected on most sites, but if you have continued trouble with any given site, feel free to let us know, we appreciate it!

• glioma
    glioma
    Community Member
    Options

Does this mean a Family plan cannot be set up to use iCloud for syncing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@glioma: Correct. 1Password Families, like all 1Password.com accounts, do not use 3rd party services to sync data, as that's built into the service.

This discussion has been closed.