Just wiped my iMac, now need to re-download iPassword app. Help.

Options
MichelleRosman
MichelleRosman
Community Member

see above

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Wiped my iMac, now need to reload 1Password.

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi there @MichelleRosman :)
    1Password can be downloaded from here or from the Mac App Store. As for getting your data back, that depends on how you sync your data.

If you have a 1Password.com account, you should be prompted to sign in to it when 1Password first opens.

If you do not have a 1Password.com account, you will be given options to re-link to your Dropbox or iCloud accounts also when 1Password first opens.

If you are having problems with any of the steps, let me know. :)

Corey

• MichelleRosman
    MichelleRosman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Corey, I've downloaded iPassword. I synch over wi-fi from my iMac to my iPhone, so I have it on my phone (somewhat outdated). Can I retrieve it from my iMac TIME MACHINE? My TIME MACHINE is current.
    Thx, Michelle

• MichelleRosman
    MichelleRosman
    Community Member
    Options

One additional point, since my iMac was just wiped, all data is clean, but I've not yet wiped my cell. That will happen next. If I synch my iPhone data to my iMac, I run the risk of importing contaminated data I believe, so I hope we can extract clean data from my iMac TIME MACHINE. Thx, Michelle

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MichelleRosman :)
    I think so. As far as I know, 1Password automatically backs itself up. Said backups are kept in [user]/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups. If you can pull the files from your Time Machine backup, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to restore from them using the tool in the Backups tab of 1Password's preferences.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Options

@MichelleRosman: We won't be able to "extract" data for you, but if you had Time Machine backup your 1Password data you can find it in one of these two locations, based on which version you were using at the time:

Mac App Store version:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

AgileBits Store version:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

What you're looking for is something like 1Password2 2017-08-26 021334 (45 items).agilekeychain_zip, which is a backup archive 1Password saves. They're dated, and the newest one should be best. You can select this during the 1Password setup process ("Used 1Password before?" > More options > Restore from backup).

I see that you've also emailed us separately, so we can continue the conversation there if we need to exchange more details. :)

ref: MJE-34811-142

• MichelleRosman
    MichelleRosman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent, many thanks for the visual links. I just got off w/ an Apple Sr Advisor. We tried both options above and came up short. On MAC App Store Version: we got into 2BUA file but there was no onepassword folder. On the AgileBits Store version: we got to Application Support but there was no 1Password folder. Please advise, or I'm happy to set up a conference call. Thx, Michelle

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MichelleRosman - sorry to hear that didn't work for you. A quick clarifying question; were you looking on your current hard drive, or on the Time Machine backup you mentioned earlier? If you're looking on your current hard drive, you won't see any data in either of those places because you "wiped" it, which means 1Password has no data (I'm assuming you did a full erasure of everything, not just re-installed the OS, correct?). If you looked in the locations Brenty gave you on the Time Machine disk(s) and found nothing in those locations, then you may not have been backing up your Library folder. By the way, the folder for the AgileBits store version would have been called 1Password 4, not just 1Password, if that makes any difference.

If your Time Machine disks contain no 1Password data, then that will mean your only copy of your 1Password data is the one on your iPhone, and you're going to have a choice: if you believe the iPhone is truly compromised, such that even syncing encrypted data from within 1Password back to your Mac will risk contaminating your recently-cleaned iMac, you can go ahead and delete the iPhone's data and start over with a completely new 1Password vault on both your Mac and iPhone. WARNING this will result in all your existing 1Password data being lost permanently. The other option would be to sync your 1Password data from your iPhone over to your Mac via WLAN. This would be what I would personally do, probably, but you seem hesitant that doing so would infect your iMac all over again.

You must obviously do what you feel is best regarding security, but I would suspect that any malware on your iMac which was capable of infecting your iPhone via sync would also be present in any backups of data, yet you seem willing to back up from a Time Machine copy of your data. Please understand, this is a complete guess on my part, since I don't know the particulars of what went on with your devices -- but I think if I were facing the choice between losing all my 1Password data or risking a potential re-infection through a sync, I might choose the latter. Let us know if you can find any data in the Time Machine drive, and how you'd like to proceed.

This discussion has been closed.