Got new iPhone and did iCloud restore on the iPhone - WLAN syncing stopped working

Chuck1313
Chuck1313
Community Member

I use 1Password on both iPhone 6 and Mac. The WLAN Server syncing works just fine and I never had any issue.

I got a new iPhone 8 and did an iCloud restore, which restore everything from the iPhone 6 to the iPhone 8. 1Password, other apps, settings, etc. It's basically a normal restore when you setup a new iPhone. I then reset the iPhone 6.

However, now I can no longer sync 1Password between the iPhone 8 and Mac. I have tried the following:

1). Ensure that both the iPhone 8 and Mac are connected to the same Wifi
2). Disabled sync on 1Password in the iPhone 8
3). Ensured that 1Password is running the WLAN server
4). Clicked "Refresh list" on the iPhone 8 to search for the Mac WLAN server

What did I miss?

1Password Version: 6.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11 and OSX 10.12.6
Sync Type: WLAN Server
Referrer: forum-search:SYnc to new iPhpone

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @Chuck1313 :)
    My experience with WLAN syncing is very limited, so I won't really be able to help much. But I can, at least, point you to the knowledgebase article https://support.1password.com/wlan-server-troubleshooting/ containing steps you can try to help troubleshoot. If none of those help, and AgileBits Team Member should be by with more knowledge than I have on the subject.

Cheers :)
    Corey

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks, @Corey_C .

I assume many people will have the same question / issue since usually there is a flurry of user with a new iPhone when Apple announce a new one.

EDIT: I did look at the link above before posting but none of it applies since the WLAN syncing works before (for more than a year) and nothing changes at the network level (no new router, no new IP, etc.) or MacBook (no new OS,e tc.). The only changes is having a new iPhone.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

@Chuck1313,

I’m sorry for the difficulty. As it mentions in the guide we’re unable to troubleshoot issues with the WLAN server beyond the scope of the article. I would recommend following through the troubleshooting steps in the guide, even if it seems unlikely that it would make a difference.

The only other thing I could suggest would be to disable the WLAN server on the Mac, uninstall/reinstall 1Password on the iPhone, and then set syncing back up fresh (only do this if all of your data is available on your Mac).

Ben

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member

@Ben

I am surprised to see your response that essentially mean AgileBits will NO LONGER assist in WLAN server troubleshooting.

As I mentioned, there is no changes at the network level or the MacBook other than a new iPhone hardware. iCloud restore on new iPhone is basically putting the same image of the old iPhone to the new one.

So the issue is on 1Password and in this case, it seems that there is no way to "reset" the WLAN syncing when a user have a new iPhone. I would have thought AgileBits will at least know about this issue because new hardware changes (new MacBook or iPhone or iPad) are not uncommon.

AgileBits should at least stated in the Support page that moving to new hardware WILL cause WLAN syncing to stop and WILL cause DATA LOST.

• @Chuck1313,

That isn't what we are saying. What we are saying is that all of the steps that we know of to troubleshoot WLAN syncing have been written down in that guide. If you're not willing to try the steps listed there, then unfortunately I cannot help you.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.