Default behavior for ↩ in 1Password Mini

Skurfer
Skurfer
Community Member

I would love the option to copy a password when hitting ↩ in 1Password Mini instead of having to reach for ⇧⌘C. Copying passwords is the only reason I ever call it up outside of a browser. (If I want to “Go & Fill”, I just use Quicksilver.)

A possible alternative would be to allow Quicksilver to initiate copying the password. Then I wouldn’t even need mini.

Semi-related: Maybe take it easy with the “guard rails”. I had to manually edit my 1Password preferences file so I could use ⌘P to call up 1Password Mini. (I use 1Password Mini multiple times daily, but I print less than once a year. I can just use the menu for printing.) Since you’re preventing the use of some “known” keyboard shortcuts, you obviously know what they’re for. What about warning the user and letting them proceed if it’s something they can live without?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Skurfer: I'm not sure I follow you here:

Since you’re preventing the use of some “known” keyboard shortcuts, you obviously know what they’re for. What about warning the user and letting them proceed if it’s something they can live without?

Can you be more specific? Do you maybe mean Secure Input is preventing some keyboard shortcuts from being used? We use this macOS feature to prevent other apps from harvesting your data as you use 1Password. Or do you just mean that you have other apps which are conflicting with 1Password's keyboard shortcuts? In either case, it isn't something we have control over, but let me know if you mean something else.

We can consider adding additional keyboard shortcuts, but they could also conflict with other software. And changing existing shortcuts is more problematic, as people who have been using 1Password for year (or more than a decade) are accustomed to how things are setup now. Not sure if by ↩ you meant a CR (carriage return ↵), but since that's used pretty broadly I don't know if it's a good idea to have 1Password try to bind that to Copy in 1Password mini, since it has other uses. Any changes we make to keybindings won't happen overnight without a significant reason (e.g. "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini" is now ⌘ ⌥ ⌃ Q to accommodate High Sierra using ⌘ ⌃ Q to lock the screen), but we're always happy to consider suggestions. :)

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

Can you be more specific?

I mean this message you get when attempting to assign ⌘P as the shortcut for “Show 1Password mini” in the preferences:

Now that I try it again, I can see that it does identify the existing use for that shortcut, which is nice. But it doesn’t let you say “I don’t care. Use this shortcut anyway.”

Not sure if by ↩ you meant a CR (carriage return ↵), but since that's used pretty broadly I don't know if it's a good idea to have 1Password try to bind that to Copy in 1Password mini, since it has other uses.

Yes, I mean the Return key. It has different uses in different contexts, of course. I’m only suggesting it change in one of those contexts where it’s already got some special “non-standard” behavior in 1Password mini: It dismisses the mini window, opens the site, and attempts to fill the login form. I’m suggesting there could be a preference that would make it “Copy Password” instead of “Go & Fill” when you select an item and hit Return.

Thanks, again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I mean this message you get when attempting to assign ⌘P as the shortcut for “Show 1Password mini” in the preferences: [...] Now that I try it again, I can see that it does identify the existing use for that shortcut, which is nice. But it doesn’t let you say “I don’t care. Use this shortcut anyway.”

@Skurfer: Hmm. I'm not sure that would be a good idea. ⌘ P is used in nearly every app for printing. Certainly I can see the appeal of using it (or ⌘ 1!) for 1Password, but that would cause a lot of confusion and trouble, as 1Password tries to use these shortcuts system-wide. I have no doubt that you'd be okay with ignoring the warning and proceeding anyway, but a lot of people would do the same...and then be super confused later on when they forgot and couldn't print. :dizzy:

Yes, I mean the Return key. It has different uses in different contexts, of course. I’m only suggesting it change in one of those contexts where it’s already got some special “non-standard” behavior in 1Password mini: It dismisses the mini window, opens the site, and attempts to fill the login form. I’m suggesting there could be a preference that would make it “Copy Password” instead of “Go & Fill” when you select an item and hit Return. Thanks, again.

Gotcha. That makes sense, insofar as I could see the appeal. It's something we'll consider, as far as customizability. But again, we do try to be careful about what we do, as it impacts all 1Password users. And I'm not sure we want to encourage people to copy to clipboard more, in this example at least. Anything on the system can see that, and one of the great things about the browser extension is being able to bypass the clipboard: it's not only more secure, it saves a step (paste). Food for thought. :)

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

Gotcha. That makes sense, insofar as I could see the appeal. It's something we'll consider, as far as customizability.

That’s all I can ask. Thanks.

one of the great things about the browser extension is being able to bypass the clipboard: it's not only more secure, it saves a step (paste).

Yes, the extension is great and I use it whenever I can, but there are situations where a securely stored password is needed outside the browser. (Fluid, VPN clients, etc.)

• @Skurfer : having multiple things assigned to the same keyboard shortcut isn't recommended in macOS as the OS can't necessarily figure out which is the right one to trigger. cmd-p is being disallowed in that case because our own "Print" menu item has that shortcut already. You could edit ours using System Preferences as it allows remapping menu item shortcuts in any app, in which case 1Password would probably allow you to then choose cmd-P as the shortcut you're looking to use. But that's not likely to work in practice as the moment you switch away from 1Password, the odds are that you'll switch to another app that has cmd-P configured for their own Print menu item.

Regarding the return key to copy the password in 1Password mini. This should be possible already. I'm able to do it here by bringing up 1Password mini, finding the item whose password I want, hitting the right arrow which brings up the details view and shows that the password field has focus. At this point if I hit return, it shows the 'copy' button next to the password field as getting highlighted and the password is copied to my clipboard, dismissing 1Password. Are you trying to avoid that extra right-arrow keypress, or were you not aware of this feature?

Rick

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

cmd-p is being disallowed in that case because our own "Print" menu item has that shortcut already.

Yeah, but if you want to print, you can still do it using the mouse by selecting the Print menu item manually. This is true for every application. Like I said, I print less than once per year, but I call up 1Password mini multiple times per day, so I can live with the drawbacks associated with overriding a system shortcut. 8-)

Are you trying to avoid that extra right-arrow keypress, or were you not aware of this feature?

Ummm… both?

Thanks for pointing that out. I’m not sure if is easier than ⇧⌘C, but it’s nice to have options. Of course skipping right-arrow would be ideal. Or another possibility: Let / descend into the item in addition to right-arrow like Quicksilver does. It’s easier to reach (and some of us have years of muscle memory for that).

• Like I said, I print less than once per year, but I call up 1Password mini multiple times per day, so I can live with the drawbacks associated with overriding a system shortcut

Hrmm... Apparently I was wrong in what I said. I thought System Preferences could only re-assign the keyboard shortcuts for a single app, but it looks like you can mass-change the Print menu item to use something else than cmd-p. That should free up cmd-p for you within 1Password.

Let / descend into the item in addition to right-arrow like Quicksilver does

That's an interesting idea.

Rick

• Skurfer
    Skurfer
    Community Member

I thought System Preferences could only re-assign the keyboard shortcuts for a single app, but it looks like you can mass-change the Print menu item to use something else than cmd-p. That should free up cmd-p for you within 1Password.

Oh, cool. I thought 1Password was operating from a fixed list of known shortcuts. Nice to see that it’s checking the system in real-time. I’ve got ⌘P bringing up the mini window now without weird hacks. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017

Glad that helped! I'm not sure we want to make that the default, but macOS itself does allow a lot of customizability in that regard. Cheers! :)

• amcclain
    amcclain
    Community Member

+1 for an option to make the default action on 1p mini "copy password" instead of "open and fill". I also use 1p to store passwords for many systems other than website passwords (servers, encrypted files, etc).

I might be doing something wrong :-) but I also find that the "open and fill" does not reliably work for me on several key sites, so I generally don't use it and "copy password" is almost always the action I wish to take. (I know that might be painful to hear as I am sure it's been carefully developed, but honestly I'm happy copying the password and logging in with an additional, deliberate step.)

Thanks for the great app - use it dozens of times a day.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for weighing in, @amcclain, and especially for the kind words! It's something we're always keeping in mind as we assess the changing landscape of how users interact with and use 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.