Default field names not syncing when edited

semblance
semblance
Community Member
edited September 2017 in Mac

1Password syncing is working perfectly for me, except when I edit the name of a default field.

• Example 1 - I have a Wireless Router item in which I renamed the default field "network name" to "5 GHz network name" (because the router also has a 2.4 GHz network, which has a different name). However on my other devices it is still called "network name". So on the first device I have two fields "5 GHz network name" and "2.4 GHz network name", but on my other devices the same fields are called "network name" and "2.4 GHz network name". Despite this, the field values sync to all devices without issue.
  • Example 2 - I have several Bank Account items in which I renamed the default field "routing number" to "sort code" (since I am in the UK). However, on my other devices the field is still called "routing number". So again, the fields have the correct values but different names on different devices.

Fields I create myself sync both their names and values without any issue. However default fields appear to sync their values, but not their names (if changed from the default).

Is this a known bug?

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: None
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Also there's a related issue - if I re-order fields, then the ordering fails to sync correctly if default fields are involved.

For example, in my Wireless Router item mentioned above, I kept "base station name" at the top, and put "5 GHz network name" and "2.4 GHz network name" together underneath that, followed by "wireless network password" (since both networks have the same password).

However, on all my other devices, the default fields are all at the top - so "base station name", "network name" (which is really "5 GHz network name") and "wireless network password" appear together - and finally underneath that is my custom field, "2.4 GHz network name".

So given that the same fields can have different names, and appear in a different order, on different devices - it can get quite confusing.

• Hi @semblance,

Hrmm... these sound like bugs to me. Can you tell me which kinds of devices you're syncing with? Can you also tel me how you're syncing?

Rick

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

Hi @rickfillion - I'm syncing a late 2016 MacBook Pro, a late 2012 iMac, and an iPhone 5S, and I'm using Dropbox to sync.

They are all running the latest stable releases of macOS, iOS and 1Password.

• rickfillion
    edited October 2017

Ah... yes ok this makes sense now. You're using the older AgileKeychain format for sync then. In which case this is less of a bug and more of a known issue with AgileKeychain.

The fix would be to switch to a more modern sync format, be it Dropbox/OPVault, iCloud, or 1Password.com. Assuming you want to stick with Dropbox, here's how you want to do this:

• On all devices, go into the sync preferences and disable sync
    • On the Mac, go into Dropbox and copy the old AgileKeychain file out of your dropbox
    • On the Mac, reconfigure Dropbox sync, and let it create a new OPVault file (which should be the default now)
    • On all other devices, reconfigure sync to Dropbox

You should now be set.

Rick

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

Great, thanks @rickfillion - I'll give that a go later.

• Let us know how it works out for you.

Rick

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Hi @rickfillion

I've upgraded to the newer "OPVault" sync format, and nearly everything is working fine now.

The only issues I encountered were:

• On the items with discrepancies, it kept the wrong data (from my phone) and overwrote the correct data (from the MacBook Pro). I was able to overcome that by disabling syncing again, then wiping all data on all devices, restoring from the latest backup to the MacBook Pro, and then syncing that to the other devices. This resolved the original sync issue, and all the data seems to be syncing perfectly now.
    • I can’t see any way to keep the custom colours for the vault icons on my secondary vaults on the iPhone, so they’re all the same colour on my phone now. On the Macs they still have different colours. It seems that there’s no way to create a secondary vault on iOS except by choosing the option “Sync Additional Vault”, and that doesn’t have an option to edit the vault icon or colour, and it seems there’s no way to edit it the icon after the vault has been created.

I could have sworn the icons for my secondary vaults had different colours on my phone before, but now it seems impossible to recreate.

I thought one of the features of the new sync format was going to be that it would sync vault icons and/or colours?

• Thanks for the update, @semblance.

OPVault does have a place in its format to dictate color and icon for a vault, but it's not something that has ever properly worked when syncing. Its possible that an older version of the app behaved better than we currently do though. The way that the property is stored inside of the OPVault doesn't lend itself to properly syncing. We corrected that mistake in our design for vaults in 1Password.com and the vault attributes sync properly there.

Rick

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

OK thanks @rickfillion - any plans to fix this?

I think the vault icon is more than an aesthetic nicety - it's a powerful visual indicator that shows which vault you're currently in at all times, which is necessary when you work with different vaults.

Why can't the vault icon/colour just be stored in the OPVault format and synced with all the other data?

• @semblance: I can't personally speak to the why of OPVault not being able to sync vault icons well and will leave that to @rickfillion's greater wisdom, but your point about an indicator of which vault you're working with at any given time is well-taken and I'll certainly pass your feedback along to the team. Even if changing the vault icon color isn't the best way to accomplish this, I can definitely see the value in some more obvious indication of what vault is "active" on iOS. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Originally vault icons weren't really used anywhere in 1Password for iOS (All Vaults and the vault chooser are relatively new features), so it just isn't something we've designed for. And frankly most people using the standalone apps never use multiple vaults. It was, however, critical for 1Password.com, since it's built around sharing, and vault proliferation is rampant as a result. It's unlikely that we'll go back and retroactively add that for legacy formats (especially when they don't have good support for it in the first place), but it's something we'll keep in mind. Thanks for asking!

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

Thanks @bundtkate and @brenty

I wasn't aware that the standalone version of 1Password is now considered a "legacy format".

I've invested a large amount of time and effort into 1Password, and I never recieved any communication from AgileBits saying the standalone version is in any way "legacy", and not going to enjoy full support.

Is this a harbinger of worse to come?

• @semblance:

Is this a harbinger of worse to come?

Absolutely not. We've already committed to continuing to support the standalone model in 1Password 7. OPVault is "legacy" in the sense that its development is effectively complete, but the standalone model is more than a data format. We do consider 1Password memberships the next evolution here because they are able to provide increased security, simplified syncing and sharing, along with many other great features that leverage our sync service, but choice is important and standalone vaults still have our full support. :+1:

• semblance
    semblance
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification @bundtkate

I don't always have time to read AgileBits blog posts, so I wasn't aware of some of the momentous changes that have happened over the last few years - I was just happily using 1Password in my own private bubble :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries. That's what we're here for! Just let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.