Why does mini insist on only showing very few and seldom used items in search pulldown?

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

This question would be totally answered if you pointed me to a setting that controls how many items show.

What happens to me 90% of the time:
1. I do a search in mini.
2. Mini offers me 1 choice with "2 more" not shown.
3. 99% of the time, the one I want is down below, so I have to click on the "more".
4. The items seem to be alphabetical, so the first one is alphabetically first. So I could jigger the names I suppose to get the one I prefer, but that seems kludgy.
5. When there are lots of items, it does default to 5 or so; that works well; it only seems to cause extra work when there are very few.
6. It seems your algorithm is showing a percentage of the total with a certain maximum. If so, you would only have to change that to add use the minimum if it is greater than the percentage.

Possible solutions:
1. By default, show more than 1 when there are only a few.
2. If there are less than 5, show them all.
3. Have a setting for the minimum number. Changing that for me to 5 - 10 or even more would be fine.
4. Have the algorithm track the frequency of use, and present them in descending order.
5. Remove the hiding function and just scroll them.
6. Allow the user to specify the ordering.

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

I have a few follow-up questions to make sure I'm understanding correctly what's going on here.

The setting that controls how mini displays matching websites is in 1Password's Preferences > Browsers. Is "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" checked there for you?

• When you search in mini, are you searching by the item's title or by the URL?
    • Is there a webpage active when you are doing this search?
  • jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your response. I was looking for settings as to how many display and in what order. Not simply whether they display.

• I search by name, not URL.
    • there may or may not be a web page active. In the case in point, there is no web page active, I put the first few letters of the title in, and there are three that match, but only one shows. That one that shows I would use maybe 1% of the time, and the one I use 99% of the time is part of the "2 more items".
  • Yeah, that bugs us too. I have a scenario personally where my bank's login item doesn't show unless I click to expand the additional 2 items. It's something we want to make better.

Rick

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Rick--please see my suggestions in the original post. Some of those are very simple and would not take a lot of effort.

In particular, there is some code that decides "show only one and hide the other two". The computation that results in "one" could easily be replaced to have it be the result of that computation or 5, whichever is greater. Of course that is not a complete solution, but would solve most of the issue for me.

• @jasimon9 : there's some work going on around all of that code currently. I'm hopefully that the code that drives all of that gets some love in the process.

Rick

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Would be nice. Will watch for it! Or you can keep me in the loop if you want.

• Sounds good.

Rick

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

From your original message:

3. 99% of the time, the one I want is down below, so I have to click on the "more".
    5. When there are lots of items, it does default to 5 or so; that works well; it only seems to cause extra work when there are very few.

3. Have a setting for the minimum number. Changing that for me to 5 - 10 or even more would be fine.
    5. Remove the hiding function and just scroll them.

Maybe what Kevin posted over here can help you with that. Those instructions will only work with version 6; ignore the '4' that's a naming convention carryover from version 4 days. :smile:

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk -- Perfect! Does what I requested as the simple workaround.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jasimon9 - Glad to hear that worked for you! Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you, and have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.