1Password beta update failure

kop48
kop48
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I came in this morning to find both of my machines showing this error. Updating manually within the app also appears to be failing for 469.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tylex
    tylex
    Community Member

@kop48 I just updated to the 469, without any issue.

• MikeT
    edited October 2017

Hi @kop48,

Thanks for writing in. Unfortunately, that is caused by an external factor blocking 1Password from replacing the files.

We know that that McAfee, MalwareBytes and in certain cases, Flux can interfere like this. Do you have any of that or any scanning tool on your system that can put a lock on a file like backups? What anti-malware solution are you using?

Do not abort the setup until you disable the AV first to allow 1Password to retry replacing the files.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I have Windows Defender, but it's not popping up any warnings, nor has it before. Could it simply be that the updater is not terminating 1Password before trying to replace it?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

Figured it out - the 1Password.NativeMessagingHost executables that run for Edge need to be terminated for the setup to succeed.

• MikeT
    edited October 2017

Hi @kop48,

That is the case but the installer tries 5 times before it gives up and prompt an error, not to mention we have a lot of users and this only affects 5% or less. This isn't acceptable of course and we're still trying to improve in each update. Unfortunately, this affects 1Password 4 as well where for many years, there were no issues like it.

If you still have it, you can try using Process Monitor if you have it to identify who is using the file. If not, Windows' Resource Monitor can tell you as well. To get to resource monitor, bring up the Run dialog via Windows Key + R and type: resmon. Switch to the CPU tab and type agilebits in the search field next to Associated Handles to see who is using it like so:

Let us know if you see anything.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I was going to do the same thing using Sysinternal's handles, but I broke the repro before I could. :( I'll see if it repros on the next update, and try to find the culprit. What's the schedule for the update?

• Hi @kop48,

We don't have any schedule, we'll ship as soon as it is ready.

If you'd like, you can try reinstalling the previous beta build and let it install the automatic update after that.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

...and of course the update works fine when I try that. :-/ It looks like there's a race condition happening somewhere. I'll try to figure out what has a handle on the file if I see a repro.

• That'd be really helpful, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.