"Master Password required on restart" not working [fixed in iOS 11.1]

blalor
blalor
Community Member
edited November 2017 in iOS

I'm using the most recent release of iOS 11 via the beta channel (I believe it is the GM). Almost every time (but not every time) I open 1Password either via the home screen or the share panel, I'm prompted for my password, with no ability to use Touch ID. Occasionally Touch ID is offered, but most of the time I'm asked for my password. It's as if the app thinks the phone (iPhone 7) has been restarted, per the note on Touch ID in the settings.

Is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @blalor,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Could you please let me know what you have set for the setting 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Prompt for Master Password?

Thanks.

Ben

• blalor
    blalor
    Community Member

@Ben it's set to "After Device Restart".

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2017

@blalor

As a troubleshooting step could you please try setting it to 'never'?

Ben

• blalor
    blalor
    Community Member

@Ben done.

• Thanks. Please let us know how that goes.

Ben

• telephoneman
    telephoneman
    Community Member

I have the same problem in iOS 11 since I started using iOS 11 from late August. it seems the device restart is not detected proper... I’m using “2 days” to reduce number of calls for password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@telephoneman: Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by "number of calls". Have you tried what Ben suggested above?

• blalor
    blalor
    Community Member

@brenty I'm assuming @telephoneman means the number of times you have to type in the master password. That's why I had it set up the way I do.

Now that I've set the option to "Never" I'm instead presented with the lock screen with password prompt that also has the fingerprint icon below it. The Touch ID authentication doesn't pop up on its own.

• @blalor,

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82185/
    • Your forum username: blalor

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• blalor
    blalor
    Community Member

@Ben #LPS-57924-137

• Great. Thank you. Will respond via email soon.

Ben

ref: LPS-57924-137

• skyman375
    skyman375
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Just submitted a diagnostic report. When I set the 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Prompt for Master Password? to "never" the issue goes away, but when I open the app after my auto-lock period has passed, I see the "full" password prompt AND the touch ID logo below it. If I hit the touchID logo, I can use that to login. I used to just see the "TouchID" prompt when opening the app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@skyman375: Thank you so much for sending that! That should help us figure out what is causing this.

ref: SXF-91979-366

• skyman375
    skyman375
    Community Member

Confirmed today that I do not have this problem on 1Password on my iPad. Just seeing it on the phone.

• Thanks for the additional info, @skyman375. I’ve added that note to your ticket.

Ben

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member

Same issue. Touch ID no longer works after latest 1password + IOS 11 updates. Used it with no issues prior.

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member

I should add that while I see the same UI as the others above: "the "full" password prompt AND the touch ID logo below it.", hitting the touchID does NOT work and the only way I can login is with password.

• Hi folks,

We’re working on adding some additional logging to an update so we can get a better idea of why this is happening.

Thanks.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I have not started using touch ID for 1Password as of yet, however you could try going to iOS settings touch id and password and turn touch id off and back on. Then what ever settings in 1Password.

• That would not make a difference in this case.

• MasterRee
    MasterRee
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

I resolved this issue by deleting all saved fingerprints from my iOS device, then recreated the fingerprints. 1Password is now working correctly with TouchID.

Also, I think this may be an OS upgrade issue as I was experiencing miscellaneous problems related to TouchID beyond just 1Password, since the upgrade to iOS 11.

• Thanks for letting us know, @MasterRee. Glad to hear you were able to find a solution that worked for you.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

For anyone else having a similar issue, I encountered this as well on my iPhone 6S after updating to iOS 11, and again after setting up a new iPhone 7 Plus from a device backup of that. Reinstalling the app to test something, I've found that I haven't had this problem again, and the Master Password is only being required after device restart (per my settings). So it may be that updating to iOS 11 migrated some Touch ID settings badly, and that this was transferred in the backup/restore process. It may be worth a try to reinstall 1Password (after taking care to backup data in any local vaults). Cheers! :)

• 7dy4ru9
    7dy4ru9
    Community Member

running the latest IOS update, then removing and reinstalling the 1pass app fixed it for me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I remain skeptical after having so much trouble myself, but so far so good here. :)

• psy4CPOP
    psy4CPOP
    Community Member

Hi, I tried removing 1password from my phone and reinstalling appeared to work. But it seems that the "Prompt for Master Password" was set to "Never" as the default. Setting it back to "After Device Restarts" results in the same issue as other people on this post.

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member

I am having the same issue on my new iPhone 8+. I will try reinstalling the app.

• jasonw
    jasonw
    Community Member

I can confirm the problem still exists after deleting and reinstalling the app on my iPhone 6S running iOS 11.0.2.

The workaround of setting “Require Master Password” to “Never” and tapping the Touch ID icon on the password screen works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@psy4CPOP, @jasonw: Thanks for confirming. I'm a bit bummed, as I've seen better results in a few cases, but I'm glad that workaround helps while we investigate this.

@sybil_cooper: Please let me know if that helps in your case!

• sybil_cooper
    sybil_cooper
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

It has worked beautifully since I deleted the app and reinstalled!!! It only asks for Thumbprint after touching the app icon. My settings are Lock on Exit on, Auto-Lock 10min, Touch ID on.

I just checked and I have iOS 11.0. It is telling me to update to 11.0.2 but the Install Now button is grey. "You can install this update when your iPhone is finished restoring from the iCloud backup." Now my phone is done restoring. I've had the phone since Friday. So maybe those that are still having issues are running 11.0.2??????

Sybil

This discussion has been closed.