IOS 11 problem

WandaC
WandaC
Community Member

I just updated my ipad to ios 11. Went into 1password app to find my passwords to set up icloud and wifi and it's asking me to add an existing account. I didn't update 1password. I type in my master password and it says my secret key is invalid. I have no information other than my master password. This is freaking my out b/c all my passwords are on my app.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WandaC: It sounds like you may be trying to login with a 1Password Account, but you will only have one if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership. That’s the only way you’ll have a Secret Key or Sign In URL, or be able to access your data through 1Password.com. Instead, you can use 1Password without an account ("Used 1Password before?") to sync your data from another device or create a new vault. Where do you have your 1Password data currently?

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

Thank you.

The only options I get are to "add Existing Account" or start your free trial

There was no option to backup from my iPad if I recall. It was backed up thru iTunes.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WandaC: 1Password for iOS has a backup feature built in:

https://support.1password.com/backups/?ios#you-can-also-create-and-restore-backups-of-local-vaults

Did you use that? If so, you can restore from your backup. I'm not sure why updating iOS would delete your data, but unfortunately that isn't something we have any control over. The only other option is to sync your data from another device. You mentioned iCloud and Wi-Fi/WLAN sync. Were you using those previously to sync your 1Password data to another device? Otherwise you will have to start over. Please let me know what you have to work with and we'll go from there.

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

I must have forgotten that iTunes didn't back it up. There's a backup from last year called 1Password 6.4.5.ips. Is that usable?

I don't think it deleted my data, I just can't access my account. I noticed under the sync feature that there are 178 items. I synced it to Dropbox but I don't know what to do now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I must have forgotten that iTunes didn't back it up. There's a backup from last year called 1Password 6.4.5.ips. Is that usable?

@WandaC: No. That isn't a 1Password backup. iTunes (or iCloud) can be used to backup your device, but all data (and apps) are unfortunately not always restored. That's why we include a backup/restore feature in 1Password itself. :(

I don't think it deleted my data, I just can't access my account. I noticed under the sync feature that there are 178 items. I synced it to Dropbox but I don't know what to do now.

You won't have an account unless you signed up for a 1Password.com membership. But that's good to hear, about sync! If you open your Dropbox folder, do you see anything called 1Password? What we're looking for is an .opvault or .agilekeychain vault. If you have one of those, you can open it in 1Password for iOS by selecting "Used 1Password before?" > More Options > Dropbox. Let me know how it goes!

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

@WandaC: No. That isn't a 1Password backup. iTunes (or iCloud) can be used to backup your device, but all data (and apps) are unfortunately not always restored. That's why we include a backup/restore feature in 1Password itself. :(

I have an iTunes backup but if I restore it, it still restores to OS 11, which means I can't restore the old program. No one else has had this problem with a standalone ipad app?

You won't have an account unless you signed up for a 1Password.com membership. But that's good to hear, about sync! If you open your Dropbox folder, do you see anything called 1Password? What we're looking for is an .opvault or .agilekeychain vault. If you have one of those, you can open it in 1Password for iOS by selecting "Used 1Password before?" > More Options > Dropbox. Let me know how it goes!

I have a folder in dropbox that says 1Password.Opvault/Default/ then a whole bunch of "band" files plus a profile.js file.

There is no "used 1Password before?">More Options>Dropbox option in this program that I can see. Just Free trial or Add Existing Account.

Here are two screenshots of this app:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I have an iTunes backup but if I restore it, it still restores to OS 11, which means I can't restore the old program. No one else has had this problem with a standalone ipad app?

@WandaC: I'm not sure we're on the same page here. Which version of 1Password are you talking about? What you have been describing this whole time is the setup process in the current version, 6, of 1Password for iOS. But now it sounds like you're referring to a much older version, 3. Please clarify.

Did you delete 1Password? The old version will not work on iOS 11, but if you deleted it you deleted your data with it as well. If you have an iTunes backup that contains 1Password 3, it may be possible to recover the data if you 1) know the Master Password (NOT a PIN code) for it, and 2) have a computer with iTunes to use for the recovery process. In that case, let me know if you meet both requirements. However:

I have a folder in dropbox that says 1Password.Opvault/Default/ then a whole bunch of "band" files plus a profile.js file.

If that is true, then it sounds like you were using a recent version of 1Password previously and have your data in Dropbox.

There is no "used 1Password before?">More Options>Dropbox option in this program that I can see. Just Free trial or Add Existing Account.

You don't have that option any more because you've already blown past it and setup the app. If you do not currently have any data in 1Password for iOS, please delete the app and reinstall it. Then you can choose "Used 1Password before?" from the setup screen and use the 1Password.opvault in Dropbox, and you'll be all set.

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

Yes, 1Password 6. I updated from version 3 last year, I believe.

It's weird because I didn't set up or update the app, physically, after the update. When I updated to IOS 11, the screenshots I posted above are what came up when I accessed my app to get my password for iCloud after the update. There was no "used 1Password before?" option that I blew through.

I only have my data in dropbox after the update. Not sure if it's viable as there was an error message the first time I synced. Haven't seen it since, though.

If I recover from iTunes, it wouldn't recover to ios 10... is it still possible to do a recovery for 1Password6? The app that i had on the old ios got automatically updated. I never saw my old version of 1Password6 after the update. Sorry, I'm repeating myself b/c I can't logically figure out how it will restore from iTunes when the update automatically updated the app. Yanno? I'm hopeful, though.

Thanks for all your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WandaC: Sure thing! Two big reasons we include a backup and restore feature in 1Password are because updates (which we don't have control over) can wipe out data, and iTunes/iCloud backups do not always work (either because they are incomplete, or the restore process is — there's no way to tell). So that's not something I'd recommend except as a last resort, as it's often a wild goose chase.

If you have saved a backup of 1Password, restoring is easy. Otherwise the vault in Dropbox should work as well. I'm sorry for mistyping earlier. Unless you're using a very old version of 1Password, this is the first screen when setting up the app:

Are you seeing something else when you reinstall 1Password? I actually just deleted the app myself to take that screenshot, and set it up with my own vault in Dropbox. Go ahead and try that yourself and let me know how you get along!

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

Not sure why, but I never saw that screen after updating. I will try to delete and reinstall. May the force be with me.

Thank you.

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! It worked. I will never do an iTunes backup for 1Password again.

• WandaC
    WandaC
    Community Member

I just realized that my program was working all along. It opened up in the settings area (as I showed you above) but if I tap on the icon at the left side (looks like a file cabinet, just below the favorites icon), it opens up the categories. My old program automatically opened up the categories so I guess I was confused.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else has the same problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, good point! If you were in Settings the last time you used 1Password 6, it should remember that and open to Settings the next time. You can always tap the "file cabinet" icon to view the data in your vault(s), and 1Password will open to that next time as well if that's where you leave it. Thanks for letting me know you're up and running again, and sharing that tip for others. We're here if you need us! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.