TSP Website

Hello and thank you for inviting me to the testing. I am really liking the Chrome extension so far. I know it will only get better as you update the extension.
I am having a very odd problem on tsp.gov with the Chrome Linux extension only. When I try to fill my login info, it will put the password in the account number field and leave the password field blank. When I login using my Win 10 machine, it works perfectly, every time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hey @cbp0229,

Thanks for letting us know you're having issues filling on https://tsp.gov. As we get more 1Password members involved, we will see more of these filling problems arise. :)

I've taken a look at this website, and it appears that we should be able to fix this quickly. This site uses a password field type for both the Account Number and Password fields, which can cause issues but are also easily fixed.

Since you are also using 1Password on Windows, can you try saving a new Login manually on your Windows 10 machine and check if that new Login item works in 1Password for Chrome? We collect additional information about the Login fields when manually creating an item and that should fix this issue for you.

Let me know if that works for you, and in the meantime, I'll work on getting this fixed for everyone. Cheers!

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

ref: b5x-21

• cbp0229
    cbp0229
    Community Member

Hi @beyer thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested and saved the login manually. This time, it did fill out both fields but when I clicked Login, it told me "The login information you entered is not valid. Please verify your TSP account number (or user ID) and password". I switched over to my windows machine, and it worked perfectly. Tried it again on Linux, same error message.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@cbp0229: Thanks for giving that a try! It sounds like we are probably still mixing up the fields then. I'll dig into the code this afternoon and figure out what's exactly happening. Once again thanks for reporting this website to us!

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• cbp0229
    cbp0229
    Community Member

@beyer Thanks. I am not quite sure it is mixing up the fields because after I press the Fill button, I can place the cursor in the Account Number field and click "show" and the correct account number is there. In addition, the number of "dots" in the password field is consistent with the number of characters of my password.

• cbp0229
    cbp0229
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@beyer Here is something else very strange about it. I can either login with my account number or my user ID for this website. In Linux, if I press the Fill button, then press the radio button for User ID and put my user ID in, it works just fine. I then went into the 1Password app and changed the username to my user id instead of the account number and it let me login through Linux. The only downside is that I will have to manually press the user id radio button before logging in... unless 1PW can remember which radio button is selected.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@cbp0229: That is indeed interesting.

If you edit the working item in 1Password 6 on Windows, you should be able to click show web form details and set the UserID radio button. It has a strange name, but there should only be two which makes it easy.

When I change this on my machine it appears to be working, let me know how it goes on your end.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• cbp0229
    cbp0229
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

@beyer I made the change in the web form details. I simply reversed the 0 and 1. When I clicked on Fill this time, it populated everything including selecting the User ID button, but unfortunately, I got the same error message. Very strange. Thanks for telling me about the web details thingy... I am still learning 1PW. I am a former LastPass user. (1PW kicks @ss)

Edit: Still works flawlessly in Windows

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2017

@cbp0229: Thanks, we always try to kick you know what!

Give me a little time, and I'll investigate what's going on with tsp.gov. I used to have a plan years ago so I might even be able to use an old login to test it thoroughly. Luckily we worked on a tsp.gov filling issue last year, which explains why this is working on Windows.

--
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• dhrose
    dhrose
    Community Member

For whatever it's worth, I've had the same issue with the TSP site.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! We'll see what we can do.

• sflevinson
    sflevinson
    Community Member

I'm having much the same problem 1 1/2 years later. 1Password autofills the password into the account number box, no matter what I try with either Safari 12.0.1 or Chrome 70.0.3538.110 with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.1. If I click on the User ID radio button, it still fills in the password into the User ID box and asks me if I want to save the new, incorrect login. If I manually delete the User ID information incorrectly entered by 1Password and then re-fill it, it does so correctly. I can work around this but my wife can't understand why she can't get into the site using 1Password. 1Password should be able to determine when a password-style box isn't really a password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sflevinson: I'm not sure how 1Password would know that a password field is not a password field, but it's impossible to even investigate without the details. 1Password X doesn't "autofill", and also does not exist for Safari though. So are you maybe using something else? Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and extension versions you're using, the exact URL, the specific steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• sflevinson
    sflevinson
    Community Member

Sorry about leaving out the version of 1Password - it's 7.22 for Mac from the Apple Store. I sometimes forget that there are still other versions out there and that not everyone keeps their copy current. I've been a user since version 1, so I'm not a novice.

Let's be clear - I appended my question to this thread because I'm having the same problem already described. The TSP website, https://tsp.gov/tsp/login.html, uses a login in which both fields hide the entry. The first field is labeled, by default, Account Number, but under it there are two radio buttons to select between Account Number and User ID. I could set up 1Password to use either one, but the default is always Account Number when the login page loads. The problem is that 1Password always fills both fields with the password, ignoring the username entry. There is a work-around. By clicking inside the right margin of the first entry box, the word "SHOW" appears. Clicking it again changes it to "HIDE". Once that is done, 1Password enters the data correctly, although it still won't set the radio buttons, and so this must be done manually. There doesn't seem to be a way to get 1Password to click twice inside the right margin of the first entry field, so this also involves manual intervention. What disappoints me about 1Password is that it ignores the labels on the two fields and enters passwords for both, just because they're both coded as hidden text.

One thing I've always found frustrating is that there's no way to manually code 1Password to automatically fill specifically labeled fields as, for example, with the American Airlines site, which requires 3 entries - the frequent flyer number, the last name and the password or pin. It would be so much more helpful if 1Password were able to identify specific entry fields by the way they're labeled and fill them with user-defined entries. The Auto Fill feature on most browsers does this quite well, so why can't 1Password?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry about leaving out the version of 1Password - it's 7.22 for Mac from the Apple Store. I sometimes forget that there are still other versions out there and that not everyone keeps their copy current. I've been a user since version 1, so I'm not a novice.

@sflevinson: No worries. And thanks for your support all these years! :)

Let's be clear - I appended my question to this thread because I'm having the same problem already described. The TSP website, https://tsp.gov/tsp/login.html, uses a login in which both fields hide the entry.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't see a question, so I wasn't sure.

The first field is labeled, by default, Account Number, but under it there are two radio buttons to select between Account Number and User ID. I could set up 1Password to use either one, but the default is always Account Number when the login page loads. The problem is that 1Password always fills both fields with the password, ignoring the username entry. There is a work-around. By clicking inside the right margin of the first entry box, the word "SHOW" appears. Clicking it again changes it to "HIDE". Once that is done, 1Password enters the data correctly, although it still won't set the radio buttons, and so this must be done manually. There doesn't seem to be a way to get 1Password to click twice inside the right margin of the first entry field, so this also involves manual intervention. What disappoints me about 1Password is that it ignores the labels on the two fields and enters passwords for both, just because they're both coded as hidden text.

Indeed, 1Password cannot "click" anything. Its extension is not a native application that can emulate a mouse or anything like that. There may be a way we can work around this odd design...but there are two very important things we need to consider:

1. There are a lot of 1Password users out there, and a lot more websites than just this, so it's important that we're deliberate about what we spend our time on. If there are improvements we can make that will help more 1Password users, we should focus on that.
    2. Any hacks we come up with to work around a specific issue like this can have unforeseen consequences for others, often websites we've never seen and customers we've never heard from, which were fine until we made a specific change.

Food for thought.

One thing I've always found frustrating is that there's no way to manually code 1Password to automatically fill specifically labeled fields as, for example, with the American Airlines site, which requires 3 entries - the frequent flyer number, the last name and the password or pin. It would be so much more helpful if 1Password were able to identify specific entry fields by the way they're labeled and fill them with user-defined entries. The Auto Fill feature on most browsers does this quite well, so why can't 1Password?

Browsers can do anything they want inside...well, themselves. Extensions have very specific things they can and cannot do -- and for good reason, since it could be a great playground for malware otherwise. So we just work within those reasonable constraints. :)

We're really getting off topic now, but the American Airlines login pages are good examples because to you they're the same, but the code -- and field names -- are different. There's more than meets the eye, and there is almost never a perfect solution; we've got to weigh a number of factors when it comes to tweaking how behaves. But we're always making progress, if not in the specific area you want us to at the time. And it's always good to get feedback regardless so we know the things that you're struggling with, so we can try to find solutions that don't make things worse for others.

This discussion has been closed.