Keyboard shortcuts

Options
pam_fiasco
pam_fiasco
Community Member

Hi,

The keyboard shortcut for copy-and-fill is command-opt-return. The keyboard shortcut to view passwords is opt. So when I use the keyboard shortcut for copy-and-fill, my password is visible. To make matters worse, it stays visible for a few seconds even after I release the keys, while it loads the website.

I use these shortcuts all the time, so they're habitual, and I often forget not to use them when I'm in a compromised situation, e.g. when someone's looking over my shoulder.

Is there any way to change these shortcuts? If so, haven't been able to figure it out. And if not, could the ability to change them be included soon? This seems like a big (and actually obvious) security hole, and therefore worthy of quick attention.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @pam_fiasco! The only user-editable keyboard shortcuts currently in 1Password for Mac are the three found in Preferences > General:

1. ⌘⌥^L (Lock 1Password)
    2. ⌘⌥\ (Show 1Password mini)
    3. ⌘\ (Fill login on current page)

Beyond that, shortcuts aren't currently user-editable. If I'm in a public place, or anywhere at all that I'm certain someone is looking over my shoulder, I'm probably not going to be accessing or entering sensitive 1Password data or any other passwords at all. Since you're new to the forum (although it sounds like you're a veteran 1Password user), you may not have heard us say that security is a process, not a product. We provide a best-in-class tool to help people manage and secure their most important information, even building in a few fail-safes in some areas to protect users from themselves...but truly robust digital security has to be something with many components, of which 1Password is only one, and of which the most important is individual users' own vigilance.

In the same way most people have taught themselves not to, say, order a pizza via phone while on a crowded subway train heading home for the evening, if it requires reading out the credit card number aloud, we recommend people not access sensitive data in 1Password when in "compromised situations." Most of the shortcuts you can use in 1Password for Mac were given a fair amount of thought on several levels, like not conflicting with well-known global macOS shortcuts, ease or difficulty of access, and a few other criteria. That's why, for example, Show all search options is ⌘⌥^F -- because it's not needed by most people very often, and straight-up ⌘F is already used by other applications and the OS. But it's also why something like Reveal all passwords (i.e. anything obfuscated by dots in a given record) is simply ⌥ - because it's something many users will want to do often for various reasons, without having to mouse over, click the drop-down and choose "Reveal," then re-choose "Conceal" after they're done with it.

This setup was chosen...heck, I don't even remember when the keyboard-shortcut lineup was introduced, but long enough ago that there is a huge base of users who are already familiar with their current configuration (in the way you say you are), and for whom changing them arbitrarily would be more than a little disruptive. As such, I doubt it's something we're likely to change any time soon, though I will mention your request to have more of them be user-selectable to the dev team. Thanks for making your wishes known, and stay safe out there! :)

ref: OPM-1506

This discussion has been closed.