Need instructions for using Families account

Options
ingerstark
ingerstark
Community Member

I recently set up a families account to, a) protect my parents accounts/data, and b) have access to those data myself. I have been able to:

• download the app (onto their computer and my computer)
  • set up browser extensions (on both computers)
  • set up vaults, and organize what's in them (I can do this in my online account and within the app accounts on both computers)
  • I created a member account for my parents and assigned their vault to them
  • However... now I need more / better instructions about how the member accounts work. So, for example:
  • If I organize/change things in my online families account and make changes, does that automatically sync with all the desktop apps associated with my account?
  • How do I make sure that the desktop app that is on my parents computer is associated with their member account (I originally set their desktop app up with my main account info)?
  • I'm a good self-learner, but I can't find thorough instructions for how to use the families account!
    Also... how to I get help when specific webpages don't respond/work with 1Password data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:families account help

Comments

• ingerstark
    ingerstark
    Community Member
    Options

Commenting on my own post above: I'm using 1Password 6, on Mac computers with updates OS X 10.11.6 systems. I don't know what "Sync version" means?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @ingerstark :)
    Congrats on the new Families account. Now let me see if I can answer those questions.

If I organize/change things in my online families account and make changes, does that automatically sync with all the desktop apps associated with my account?

Yes. That is one of the main benefits of a 1Password account. Any change or update made on any device automatically syncs to all other devices connected to that account.

How do I make sure that the desktop app that is on my parents computer is associated with their member account (I originally set their desktop app up with my main account info)?

If you open up the 1Password app on your parents computer and go to the Preferences pane, there should be an Accounts tab. There you will find a listing of all the accounts that computer is currently logged in to. Using the + and - buttons at the bottom left, under the listing of accounts, you can add or remove accounts as you wish. Just make sure that your parent's computer is only logged in to their account and you're good to go.

Also... how to I get help when specific webpages don't respond/work with 1Password data?

That shouldn't happen too often if the logins are made with the 1Password extension but some sites can be wonky. If that happens, there is a whole section of this forum called Saving and Filling in Browsers just for that instance.

I don't know what "Sync version" means?

That's so the people helping you know how you are syncing your data, whether it's through a 1Password.com account or one of the 3rd party methods like iCloud or Dropbox. It's useful information to have when trying to diagnose various issues but it's largely irrelevant to you as you have a 1Password.com account.

Hopefully that has answered all your questions. Feel free to come back if you have any other issues. :)

Cheers,
    Corey

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ingerstark: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! This guide takes you through initial setup and the basics:

Share passwords with your family

But I'm also happy to answer any questions you have and give you specific guidance. In that spirit, I'd say first and foremost get your other family members off of using your account. With a 1Password Families plan, accounts for up to five family members are included in the base price. This allows each person to:

• Have their own Personal vault,
    • choose their own Master Password to protect their account, and
    • access any vaults that are shared with them.

But default, there is a Shared vault which is accessible to everyone in the family, great for sharing things like Wi-Fi and Netflix login credentials, garage door and home security passcodes, etc. You can delete that if you want, but it's incredibly useful for certain things. And in that same vein, you can create additional vaults to share with some, all, or none of your family members. That way you could have one just for you and your partner,, or really whatever you want.

I hope this helps give you some ideas, and be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ingerstark
    ingerstark
    Community Member
    Options

Cory - your responses are super helpful - thank you.
    Brently - your comments are also helpful - thank you.
    The instructions (as linked) aren't really very detailed and I'd looked through those before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ingerstark: You're totally welcome! Do you have questions about something? Happy to answer! :chuffed:

• ingerstark
    ingerstark
    Community Member
    Options

No questions right now... unless you have a trick to make 1Password work with Yahoo login?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No questions right now... unless you have a trick to make 1Password work with Yahoo login?

@ingerstark: You should be able to get it working using this guide in both cases, as it's just a matter of dealing with their silly multi-step login processes:

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

But I must say you should just stop using Yahoo. Their login process is pretty user-hostile (I was greeted with more than one annoying CAPTCHA when testing this), but more importantly since their security track record is atrocious and they've even finally admitted that all their billions of users' accounts were compromised, as opposed to just, like, a ton of them (it has taken them years to admit any of this), I couldn't in good conscience not mention it here.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.