Are there currently issues with WLAN Sync? Mine stopped working about 3 days ago.

Options
davishak
davishak
Community Member

Clients are unable to see WLAN Server, I have checked Firewall / AV settings, removed Firewall / AV, used different Wifi Networks etc
I have removed and reinstalled 1Password on Iphone and Mac. Issue may have started after last update of 1Password on IOS

1Password Version: 6.8.2
Extension Version: 4.6.11
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: WLAN Sync
Referrer: forum-search:wlan sync not working

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @davishak! Sorry to hear you're having trouble syncing your data via WLAN just now. No changes were made to the WLAN server or any of the client mechanisms in either 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android recently, so updates to 1Password aren't likely to be the issue here, especially as we're not seeing a rush of users reporting this issue.

Our WLAN sync guide can be found here and troubleshooting tips are also available. WLAN sync exists for people who prefer a local-sync solution and who consider themselves proficient enough and willing to put the effort into setting it up and deal with the maintenance and any problems which might arise. Unfortunately, due to the nearly infinite number of factors which can affect individual WLAN setups, we're unable to provide in-depth, one-to-one support for troubleshooting WLAN issues beyond what's offered in those documents.

If you're interested in a better, easier way to sync all your data, check out a 1Password membership -- and let us know if you have any questions.

• davishak
    davishak
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars. I have worked through the Troubleshooting Guide. I am fairly tech savvy *Unix Networking engineer" for over 30 years. Looks like I will have look at a cloud sync alternative or 1passwd membership. :-(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2017
    Options

@davishak - thanks for your reply. We don't want you to feel forced to do anything in particular. It's just that we've found ourselves going down too many rabbit holes involving the idiosyncrasies of individual users' WLAN setups, that we realized this isn't an aspect of 1Password use we can reasonably promise to support.

We created the code for the WLAN server and the syncing mechanisms in 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Android, and we've tested them to work in a general way (meaning: as far as we know, there's nothing that should prevent them from working under normal conditions). And if we were to get a flood of support requests all centered around the same issue or replicable set of steps, it would be indicative that we should take a look in our own code for something amiss, or something that's changed in the underlying OS, perhaps. Barring that, however, we've come to the realization that we just can't take the frequently considerable time it requires to troubleshoot what often turns out not to be a problem with 1Password, but rather with the vagaries of a particular user's wi-fi setup.

I'm aware that might sound off-putting or as if we don't care about a particular subset of our users (in this case, WLAN users). Nothing could be further from the truth, in fact. Obviously, we certainly COULD continue to troubleshoot every request we get to help solve a messed-up WLAN configuration. The calculation is: what do we give up in favor of doing that? How many other users could we help, what else could we build or improve or polish, what advances could we make in the time we chose to spend troubleshooting users' WLAN setups? Our goal is to help provide security for as many people as we can, and we've invested significant resources into creating a better, simpler, more secure way for all users, even (perhaps especially) the non-technical users who have no idea how to configure their own WLAN or deal with problems arising from it.

Your unhappy face at the end of your post didn't escape me, and I feel bad if you're looking at a 1Password membership or even self-administered, third-party cloud sync via Dropbox or iCloud as an unattractive option. You didn't go into detail about your reasoning for being disappointed in this - and you don't have to if you don't want to - but I can tell you this much: we don't. Don't consider it an unattractive or insecure option. In fact, although I haven't taken a survey lately, I doubt there's a single person here at AgileBits in over 80 employees who's still using a WLAN setup for their own data, by choice. Of course most of us have such a setup for testing and confirmation purposes related to assisting customers and verifying issues, but I think most of us are 1password.com members and use the hosted solution for our own data because we know exactly how secure it is. If you have any questions or concerns about security or reliability or any other aspect of a 1password.com membership, I'd be more than happy to answer.

• davishak
    davishak
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars :)
    The sad face was due to the fact I was throwing the towel in as I could not get to the bottom of the issue. I still like WLAN sync and the fact it suddenly stopped working perplexed me. I had tried everything. I fully understand your responce you can’t debug everyone’s WiFi ;) In the end I hard reset the telco provided fibre router and as if my magic it’s working again. Thank you for a great product.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davishak -- all's well that ends well, then! Glad to hear rebooting your router finally did the trick for you. Thanks for the kind words, and let us know if there's anything further we can do to assist you. :)

This discussion has been closed.